Cooking questions
  Re: (...)
Last night I made a fish curry that called for 1/2 c coconut milk. Now I have about 3/4 c left and don't know what to do with the rest. My wife made a cheesecake yesterday, can I use it for a topping? Or maybe other uses?

Tonight I am making baked Ziti and I need to thinly slice fresh Mozz. for the topping. Can I slightly freeze it to make it easier to slice, or will that affect the texture or taste.
  Re: Cooking questions by lv2ck (Last night I made a ...)
Freeze it in an ice cub tray. It works great! Pull out amounts as needed. Use part broth and part coconut milk to make coconut rice. YUM. OR part coconut milk and part pineapple juice to make the rice. Another yum.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cooking questions by esgunn (Freeze it in an ice ...)
Or you could make these...they are so yummy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dinner Buns With Coconut Milk

Recipe By :Rhonda Parkinson by way of Jean
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 teaspoon sugar -- (5 ml)
1/2 cup warm water -- (125 ml)
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup canned coconut milk -- (125 ml)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter -- (50 ml) margarine or shortening
3 tablespoons sugar -- (45 ml)
2 teaspoons salt -- (10 ml)
1/2 cup warm water -- (125 ml)
5 cups bread flour -- (5 to 6)

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water. Sprinkle in the package of yeast. Let it stand for 10 minutes and then stir.

Heat the milk to lukewarm, stirring. Add in the butter, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 cup warm water.

Add the heated milk mixture and 2 cups flour to the dissolved yeast mixture. Beat until the mixture is smooth and elastic (I find a whisk works quite well).

Gradually stir in the remaining 3 cups of flour, adding a bit more flour of necessary.

The dough should be soft and easily leave the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and round it up into a ball.

Knead the dough until it is smooth, elastic and not sticky. Again, add a bit more flour if necessary.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Turn the dough so that the top is greased as well. Cover with greased wax paper and a tea towel.

Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Punch down to let the air out of the dough. Turn it out onto a lightly floured board. Use a wetted knife to cut the dough in half, and then each half into thirds, and thirds again. This gives 18 buns.

Shape the buns into balls and place on a lightly greased surface. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes.

After removing the buns, use a pastry brush to lightly coat them with butter. Cool.

Description:
"Canned coconut milk adds a rich body to these traditional dinner buns."
Source:
"http://chinesefood.about.com/od/coconuts/r/dinnerbuns.htm?nl=1"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=60797&page=0&vc=&PHPSESSID=#Post60797"

Save the last 1/4 cup as Erin suggests in ice cube trays for rice, later...or now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking questions by Gourmet_Mom (Or you could make th...)
I'm assuming the mozz. question was separate, so I will address separately. I have never done it, but I think I've seen where it can be done...not long in the freezer. Personally, I have not found this to be a problem...I use my bread knife and it works fine using a gentle sawing motion.

Oh, and I keep forgetting...I keep forgetting to try myself, too. I think I've seen where slicing with dental floss works well...makes sense, as it works on a cheesecake for me.
Daphne
  • Drink it straight up (stir it well, first)
  • Mix it with pineapple juice and rum to make a piña colada
  • Use it to replace all or part (1:1 ratio) of the milk in a vanilla custard/pudding recipe, and leave out the vanilla, giving you coconut custard
  • Use it, instead of milk or cream, in some other dish similar to the fish curry you made
  • Try something different, such as the following recipe for Coconut Bread from Honduras
Pan de Coco (Coconut Bread)
(Makes 30 small rolls)
(Note: This is taken directly from the English part of a Spanish/English, Honduran cookbook. I have not tried this recipe, and have not tried to edit the English translation.)

Ingredients
  • 7 C Flour
  • 1 Tbsp dry yeast
  • 1/2 C Warm water
  • 3/4 C Vegetable shortening
  • 1 C Coconut milk
  • 1/2 C Sugar
Instructions
  1. Place the yeast in the warm water and let rise for 10 minutes approximately.
  2. In a large bowl, sift the flour and the sugar. Make a hole in the center and place the vegetable shortening and the yeast. Using a spoon, mix and add the coconut milk gradually. Knead and add more flour if necessary until obtaining a dough of smooth consistency. Let rise in a greased bowl and cover with a moist cloth for 30 minutes or until it doubles,
  3. Punch the dough with your fist and knead again. Divide the dough into 30 equal parts and form the bread into the desired shape.
  4. Place in greased pan and let rise again for 20 minutes.
  5. Bake in preheated oven at 375F for 25 or 30 minutes or until slightly golden.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cooking questions by labradors ([list][*]Drink it st...)
Labs, is this the same as the coconut milk used in the recipe? I thought that was different...had added sugar?

If so, that's how you can use the last 1/4 cup after the bread....YUM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking questions by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, is this the sa...)
Quote:

Labs, is this the same as the coconut milk used in the recipe?

Which recipe?

Quote:

I thought that was different...had added sugar?

The canned "coconut cream" is the one with the added sugar. The "coconut milk" usually doesn't.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cooking questions by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The poster said his/her recipe called for coconut milk in his/her recipe for a fish curry dish. They had some of the milk left over and needed advice on using it.

Therefore, I thought a piña colada was made with coconut CREAM, not milk.
Daphne
I freeze my leftover coconut milk in muffin tins and then pop out the frozen "muffins" and store in freezer in a ziploc bag.

As far as the mozzarella, I have a cheese slicer that uses a metal thread to cut and it works perfectly, so I think you could use dental floss....just make sure it is not flavored!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cooking questions by chef_Tab (I freeze my leftover...)
Quote:

....just make sure it is not flavored!

OOPS, forgot to mention that part...LOL! Thanks for the notation Theresa...that would have been bad...very bad...LOL!
Daphne