BRASATO AL BAROLO (Beef Braised With Barolo)
  Re: (...)
Doing this tonight from The Silver Spoon ("1 cookbook in Italy)--will post recipe if it is good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: BRASATO AL BAROLO (Beef Braised With Barolo) by Old Bay (Doing this tonight f...)
Sounds good Bill! Are you preparing for your trip to NYC? Sounds like a Batali recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: BRASATO AL BAROLO (Beef Braised With Barolo) by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good Bill! A...)
I made the same recipe (title anyway) for Christmas Eve. Mine was found in Claudia Rodan's Book on Italian Cooking. This was the second time I'd made it and we LOVED it. My son the chef altered the method and the ingredients a little. And, he said not to waste a $30 bottle of wine for braising, something bold and less expensive would be fine and only a gastronome could tell the difference.

Anxious to hear about your version - good or not so good results.
  Re: BRASATO AL BAROLO (Beef Braised With Barolo) by Old Bay (Doing this tonight f...)
This is also a good beef braised in red wine.

Wine Braised Beef Stew over Creamy Polenta
Bon Appetit March 1993

Lynne Rossetto Kasper recipe

6 Servings

Beef

3 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra virgin)

7 pound beef chuck roast, trimmed, boned, cut into 1 inch cubes

1 large onion, minced

1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

3 garlic cloves, chopped

2 bay leaves

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1 cup dry red wine

2 1/4 cups beef stock or canned broth

2 14 to 16 ounce can whole Italian tomatoes

1/2 cup pitted Nicoise olive

4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried, crumbled

2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch- wide strips

Heat oil in heavy dutch oven over high heat. Add 1/3 of beef and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer beef to bowl using a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining beef in 4 more batches. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and Italian parsley to Dutch oven and cook until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped garlic, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.

Return beef to Dutch oven and stir to coat with onion and spice mixture. Add red wine and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer mixture 15 minutes. Add beef stock and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Mix in olives and rosemary. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until beef is tender, stirring occasionally about 1 1/2 hours. Add bell peppers, cover and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Serve over creamy polenta

Note: I lightly salt and pepper the beef before browning it. Sometimes I make this without the red bell peppers.. Also I have substituted the Nicoise olives with the black oil cured olives(like the Sicilian or Moroccon) or Kalamata olives.

POLENTA

9 cups water

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 cups cornmeal

Bring water and salt to boil in heavy large saucepan. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Continue whisking until mixture boils and thickens, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Cook cornmeal until thick and thoroughly cooked, whisking occasionally, about 30 minutes. (polenta can be preparred up to 4 hours ahead. Transfer polenta to metal bowl. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Set bowl over large saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir occasionally.)

Spoon polenta into shallow soup bowls. spoon beef over.

rosie
  Re: Re: BRASATO AL BAROLO (Beef Braised With Barolo) by ktsrosie (This is also a good ...)
Sounds pretty dang good...copied and saved for a time when I can cook for the sake of cooking and not for the needs of work!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)