cheese prices
  Re: (...)
I guess that I don't get out much... I was buying ingredients for Jean's crab & piquillo dip when, upon finding the cheese, went into shock at the $25.95/ pound price tag! The smallest wedge available was almost 5 ounces and cost over $8. I carefully placed it back into its basket...

Is this a good price for Manchego cheese? I have to think that I can find it, costing less, somewhere else...

Am I being a bit too frugal? Is Manchego so good that it is worth the price? I have never had it before.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: cheese prices by foodfiend (I guess that I don't...)
Manchego indeed is expensive but definitely worth the price. One of my wholesalers--and coincidentally the only place I can buy it--sells it for $34.00 per kg.

I paid something like $6 for a tiny piece of Stilton today for garnish for a soup.

I feel your pain, my friend!

Manchego rocks--if you do splurge and buy it I bet you'll absolutely love it!
  Re: Re: cheese prices by Chefelle (Manchego indeed is e...)
LOL! Just bought some Manchego today! It's my favourite cheese. The store in which I was picking up a few other things happened to have a special, and a 7-oz package was $8.73. Considering that Gruyère costs more, here, I'm quite happy.

For me, the answer is an absolute "YES!" - it IS worth it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: cheese prices by labradors (LOL! Just bought so...)
I think cheese is always worth it. There's a wonderful Italian cheese with truffles threaded into it - I only get to have a little wedge Make that a tiny little wedge! But it's a lovely treat now and then.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: cheese prices by Harborwitch (I think cheese is al...)
Sharon, I wouldn't be cooking with that one....eating it...with champagne!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: cheese prices by Chefelle (Manchego indeed is e...)
Quote:

]
Manchego rocks--if you do splurge and buy it I bet you'll absolutely love it!

That's what I'm afraid of!

Okay, I'll bite (hahaha...) I will, however, wait until I go to Trader Joe's next to pick this cheese up. From what I've seen, their prices can be half of those at the grocery store. From what Jean says, this dip is good enough to wait for!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: cheese prices by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We sure got a lot out of the dip - dip, open-faced sandwiches and, crap, can't remember the third use. It is worth it. But Vicci, add just a shake or two of Tabasco, we found with the 2nd or 3rd use, it really brought everything out.

Manchego is Roy's favorite - he's always sneaking in the basket.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: cheese prices by cjs (We sure got a lot ou...)
I will have to try Manchengo, but it's not likely I'll find it locally. Perhaps on a trip to Ottawa or Kingston I'll score some.
The local (1hr away) PriceChopper has Stilton. The price is outrageous!! We get a tiny wedge and nibble like naughty mice.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: cheese prices by farnfam (I will have to try M...)
Quote:

The local (1hr away) PriceChopper has Stilton. The price is outrageous!! We get a tiny wedge and nibble like naughty mice.

Don't forget to check TWO places in the store: the deli counter, itself, and the area where they have the specialty cheeses (Manchego, Chèvre, Gruyère, Parmigiana Reggiano, et al) already in pre-wrapped portions - often a refrigerated "island" display near the deli.

Of course, make sure you read the label to see that it DOES say sheep's milk, NOT just "milk" or cow's milk, and that it DOES say it's from La Mancha, Spain. If not, then it's not real Manchego.

Does Grand Union have it, perhaps? Does Grand Union still exist? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: cheese prices by foodfiend (I guess that I don't...)
I happened to check at Costco today, and they had it for 8.99 a pound. Most of the hunks were almost 2 lbs though, so it was running around 17.00 for a hunk. I did check and it was made from Sheeps milk and it was imported from Spain.

I have never had it that I know of. Be interesting to try. I did try this cheese at New Years Beechers No Woman Cheese And it was a very nice cheese. It is fun to try all these new cheeses during the holidays.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.