Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th?
  Re: (...)
We heard there is a great RV park on the beach in Pismo Beach, so going to check it out today and lots of wineries in the area, so..... we'll probably have grilled hot dogs when we stagger home. Or if we're good little folks, I'm making the halibut cheeks.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by cjs (We heard there is a ...)
I took a big ol' ham bone out of my freezer and today will be navy bean soup. I also saved up little packets of diced ham from the holidays to put into soups when I need them. Sure am loving the Food Saver now!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by Mare749 (I took a big ol' ham...)
HOT DOGS???? Jean---are you INSANE??!!!??? After Buzz's last post, I think hot dogs are off the menu for a while but PLEASE indulge!!! Is that with mustard, relishe and onion??

Dinner tonight was chicken wings, chicken flavored noodles and corn souffle (this I will review in a new thread). I finished up some cooked haricots as well. Love veggies-- if you didn't notice thought I would inform you!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by Roxanne 21 (HOT DOGS???? Jean-...)
An easy old standby for tonight (and it's on the light side which we need). Sauteed chicken breasts sprinkled with some Mexican seasonings (chipotle chili powder, cumin, etc), a sauteed corn & red pepper salsa and baked cubed sweet potatoes tossed with lime juice, cilantro and a touch of cayenne.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by Trixxee (An easy old standby ...)
I'm thinking spaghetti and Italian Sausage for tonight sounds good right now.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by Trixxee (An easy old standby ...)
"baked cubed sweet potatoes tossed with lime juice, cilantro and a touch of cayenne"

this sounds great! I assume you toss the potatoes after roasting?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by chef_Tab ("baked cubed sweet p...)
Dinner tonight is Beef Bourguignonne, buttered egg noodles, peas and Fall Fruit Crumble for dessert.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by Sage (Dinner tonight is Be...)
Jean, gotta agree with Roxanne...it may be a while before I can fix hot dogs.

Jeanette, I'm in your camp. I had some spaghetti sauce leftover from a week or so ago in the freezer, so that's thawing in the pan with some leftover canned tomatoes and tomato sauce to stretch and use up. I just threw in some Italian seasoning and a bay leaf for added UMPH! Got the leftover pasta dough from the other night that will make the noodles. Leftover frozen homemade bread, thawed and toasted with olive oil and rubbed with garlic. Then leftover salad from Sunday that needs to be used up. Only thing I've really got to make is more of the Brown Derby French Dressing that the family has fallen in love with...used up a whole recipe since Saturday...just the three of us!

Space cleared in the freezer and fridge, saved food from wasting, and easy dinner that's easy on the pocket book as well. I love it when things work out like this!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by chef_Tab ("baked cubed sweet p...)
Quote:

"baked cubed sweet potatoes tossed with lime juice, cilantro and a touch of cayenne"

this sounds great! I assume you toss the potatoes after roasting?

Correct! Here you go, Theresa. I've been making these since the recipe came out and have passed it along to many friends and they all like it.

Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes
Gourmet | May 2004

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 40 min
Yield: Makes 4 servings

2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
Toss sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow baking pan. Arrange potatoes in 1 layer and roast, stirring halfway through roasting, until tender, about 25 minutes total. Stir together cayenne, zest, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Whisk together lime juice and remaining tablespoon oil in a medium bowl, then add potatoes. Sprinkle with cayenne mixture and cilantro, stirring gently to combine.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner - Jan. 6th? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thank you so much, Trixxee. It will be going right into Mastercook. I love sweet potatoes, lime and cilantro.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!