Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19
  Re: (...)
I tried the poolish starter, but there doesn't seem to be enough liquid to make it look like lumpy pancake batter. The picture shows a lot more batter. What is wrong?
  Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by BobJ1105 (I tried the poolish ...)
I don't have my issue yet, so without seeing the recipe, I don't know if I can help. Here are the ingredient amounts I use. I weigh my amounts, but I was able to change them to cups for the most part. My poolish is usually very thick. Advice for making bread, I would follow the recipe as is the first time, take notes and adjust next time. Your final dough should be smooth and elastic. Have you ever made bread before?

Here's my ingredient list...See what you think.

1 3/8 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon yeast
7/8 cup water
Dough
2 7/8 cups bread flour
2 1/3 teaspoons yeast
7/8 pound poolish
7/8 cup water

BTW...welcome to the boards. I hope you'll stick around. There's lots of great people who love to cook and play with their food on here. And lots of knowledge is shared.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by Gourmet_Mom (I don't have my issu...)
okay---what's "poolish"???

WELCOME BobJ---hope you will pop in once in a while and let us know what you think of the recipes you try...you will get some great advice from our resident experts here!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by Roxanne 21 (okay---what's "pooli...)
Poolish, biga, starter...all basically the same thing, just varying amounts of the same ingredients. It's what makes bread have that yeasty flavor because the mixture ferments overnight.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by Gourmet_Mom (Poolish, biga, start...)
Okay---I knew that--- new terminology threw me

See--I learned something new today---YIPPEE!!! Thanks Daphne for the explanation.......sounds as though my sourdough is calling me now
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by Roxanne 21 (Okay---I knew that--...)
I am anxious to try the Ale & Cheddar Boule with a little help from my wife, who is the baker in the house. I have made breads before but only simple breads. And I think I am ready for something a little more challenging.

I think this weekend I will try.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by lv2ck (I am anxious to try ...)
I think those bread recipes in the new issue will be bringing many new friends to the neighborhood! Welcome everyone.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by Gourmet_Mom (I don't have my issu...)
I wood really like to learn how to make good crusty bread. My first poolish did not look as described in the receipt.( lumpy pancake batter) I got discouraged, and didn't proceed with receipt. I'll try it again abd see wgat happens.

BobJ
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by BobJ1105 (I wood really like t...)
Bob, you might surprise yourself if you go on with the bread even if it doesn't look like the picture - the flavor/texture may still be there.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Feb 09 Poolish starter pp. 19 by cjs (Bob, you might surpr...)
I agree, Jean. Will you get a perfect loaf, maybe not, but you can always make bread crumbs or croutons. So you would not be wasting anything.

Bob, I just got my copy and the poolish is very similar to mine. The picture shown is of the poolish after it has fermented, so what you were comparing would not have looked the same.
Daphne