getting recipes into Mastercook
  Re: (...)
I got Mastercook for Christmas and just started to play with it. Is there a way to import Word documents into a cookbook without a lot of copying and pasting?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by chef_Tab (I got Mastercook for...)
I think you're stuck with copying and pasting. There is the import assistant that can guess pretty well where each section goes in MC.
  Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by HomeCulinarian (I think you're stuck...)
Have you used the import assistant? It seems it will only import from the web, not my word documents.
Theresa

Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by chef_Tab (Have you used the im...)
Read this over and see if it makes sense to you Theresa - it's what I do. "without a lot of copying and pasting?" - uhhhh, it's copying and pasting, but not 'a lot of'

-----

\/ <---- this will stand for ‘click on’

Open M.C. and \/ ‘cookbooks’

\/ file
\/ New Cookbook – set up new cookbook per instructions, then when you’re ready to import from word, in your word document (that you have in recipe form and this is important –
Recipe name
1 line space
Recipe ingredients (no line breaks in this list)
1 line space
Recipe directions (in this section you can break up paragraphs and add whatever notes you want)

when the above is all set to go in your word program – hit control button and ‘A’ at the same time to ‘select all.’
Right \/ and select copy.

Go to your mastercook cookbook you want to import the recipe to and…

Right \/ envelope icon which is the “import/export/email” and \/ on ‘import assistant’ (this icon is on the right 2nd from the bottom)

A little box will show up – paste your recipe in it and
\/ ‘auto-fill’

That’s it. At least that’s how I do it – the computer whizzes around here will probably come up with better language and/or skills, but at least I get my recipes in there.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by chef_Tab (Have you used the im...)
I'm curious about this as well. I haven't tried importing from the word document that I had created for all those terrific recipes you guys have shared over the last six months.

However, I have been laboriously trying to type in my stack of miscellaneous recipes that I have accumulated over the years. I am hoping that this is worth it. So far, it just seems kind of tedious. I am still not convinced that this is the best way for me to store my recipes, since I don't have a laptop and will have to print out a recipe every time I want to use it. But at least I can have the recipes in one spot and can search for one when I need it.

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that the hard drive doesn't crash! I am so NOT of this techie generation!
  Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by iBcookin (I'm curious about th...)
Jean, thanks so much! I have been madly putting all of my recipes into word files for the last several months in hopes of receiving Mastercook for Christmas. My ASSumption was that I could just hit a button and they would "float" over to Mastercook. Silly me. Your method seems much easier than copying and pasting each line item. I will give it a whirl.

Jean, I know I have told you before, but you are a genius!
Theresa

Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by chef_Tab (Jean, thanks so much...)
genius? no, just darn old.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by cjs (genius? no, just dam...)
Um....I don't put a line between the title and the ingredients. Other than that, the directions are just how I do it. It takes a while, but I have found it well worth the effort. I imported a couple hundred just like that. Another important note, Word has a habit of making 1/2 and other fractions into a single key(?) when you hit the space bar after. Just change that by backspacing over it and retyping it without hitting the space bar after.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by Gourmet_Mom (Um....I don't put a ...)
I've had MC for over a year now and just can't find the time to learn it-every now and then I check out a recipe they have but have gone no further.

Billy, I need a tutorial, are you available for hire?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: getting recipes into Mastercook by pjcooks (I've had MC for over...)
PJ---I was thinking the same thing----WHERE IS BILLY?????

He is the MASTER of this program...I'm surprised he didn't jump right into the deep end on this one

Maybe he is busy with his new toy....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy