Dinner December 28
  Re: (...)
We had the Taco Pie from the Share a Recipe cookbook last night...soooo good! That's a keeper.
(Although, I've heard they all are. )

Tonight, I'm trying out one from Jacques Pepin's More Fast Food My Way. It's a Roasted Chicken with Mustard Sauce. We'll have Garlic Mashed Potatoes and peas with it. Nobody will want to stand close to anybody at my table tomorrow. There's 4 T chopped garlic in the sauce...LOL! YUMMY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Dinner December 28 by Gourmet_Mom (We had the Taco Pie ...)
Tonight we're having leftover Christmas eve dinner - Beef braised in Barolo with mashed spuds... looking for a vegetable.
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by HomeCulinarian (Tonight we're having...)
Applebee's and the chicken wings were a law suit waiting to happen! Nice and mid-rare...it is a shame the closest thing to a good restaurant is two hours away!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by firechef (Applebee's and the c...)
We had turkey sandwiches and a bowl of chili.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by cjs (We had turkey sandwi...)
We had the chicken gyros and greek salad buffet because we had another family over for dinner and an evening of games. There are not many leftovers so I will be doing this again, and what a fun night it turned out to be. I haven't laughed so much in quite a while. Our children are still in town so I haven't had much time to do more than lurk here. I did get Mastercook for Christmas and can't wait to play.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by chef_Tab (We had the chicken g...)
My husband made chili and cornbread. I suspect we will have some of leftovers tonight.
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by Trixxee (My husband made chil...)
Saturday afternoon I put a huge hunk 'o' piggy in a pot in the oven after seasoning it with lime juice and achiote paste, browning it off, and adding enough water to half-way cover it. With the lid on it cooked overnight in a 225 degree oven until about 9 am. Falling apart tender and succulent.

I drained it off reserving the stock (in the freezer to solidify the fat), Bob shredded the pork and we ploppped about half in the the freezer. I made an ancho chili sauce and mixed that with the pork. Bob roasted 2 pasilla peppers and we mixed those with about 3 cups of shredded jack cheese.

While Bob was shredding the pork I made the tamale dough with the coarse ground dry masa for tamales. Those of you who have your cardiologist's number on speed dial should turn your heads now - 6 cups of masa & 4 cups of hot water got mixed into a pound of lard that had been beaten until fluffy. Then a couple cups of the pork broth and seasonings were added. Wonderful fluffy tamale dough. Joan and I made big stacks of cheese & roasted chili tamales and pork tamales.

I made a small batch of mole sauce for the tamales, a cabbage salad, and a nice pot of pinto beans.

Yum - what a meal. And what a revelation on the difference in home made tamales and anything else!! Next time I will cook the meat and make the fillings on one day, the dough and sauces on the next, and then stuff them and make the beans on the 3rd day.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by Harborwitch (Saturday afternoon I...)
oh my, that sounds so good, Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by cjs (oh my, that sounds s...)
I don't think I'll ever buy tamales again. A small batch wouldn't be so much work - and I do think that I'll render off my own fat. Wondering if duck fat or chicken fat would work instead of the lard??? Hmmmmmm. That kept my awake for part of the night.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner December 28 by Harborwitch (I don't think I'll e...)
That really does sound good, Sharon. But, what a ton of work to get there. Glad it was all worth it.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."