New Year's Eve Entertaining???
  Re: (...)
Here's a recipe that caught my eye as elegant in some ways that I figured I share with everyone here as a New Year's Eve idea or for any other time as well! It comes from www.theworldwidegourmet.com

Young Duck Roasted with Red Butter Recipe

Flavors of France

Chef's Note

For cooks seeking a sophisticated, yet easy, recipe, this roasted duck with red butter, which pairs sweet and savory flavors, will be your party's secret weapon!

Ingredients
For 4 servings

- 1 ready-to cook young duck, about 1.5 kg / 3 lb.
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp. of four-berry jam (cherry, strawberry, red currant, raspberry)
- 1 tbsp. peanut oil

For the sauce
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 100 g (6 tbsp.) butter
- 400 ml (1 1/2 cups) red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 tbsp. of four-berry jam
- a pinch of salt and pepper

Method

1. Cut up the onion and carrot. Crush the garlic clove. Set aside.
2. Season the duck with salt and pepper and brown briskly in a sauté pan with a little oil. Transfer to a roasting pan. Brush with the jam, and add the onion, carrot and garlic to the pan.
3. Roast the duck in a preheated 180°-200° C (350-400° F) oven for 45 minutes, adding a glass of water half-way through the cooking time. Turn off the oven and let the duck rest for 15 minutes.

Sauce and presentation

1. Remove the butter from the refrigerator. Place the chopped shallots, wine, bay leaf, thyme and pepper into a saucepan. Reduce to 3 tbsp. over high heat.
2. Gradually whisk in the butter (softened in a microwave or over warm water). Strain; add 1 tbsp. jam. Keep hot over hot water.
3. Remove the breasts and wing from the duck. Cut the legs into drumsticks and thighs and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Serve the breasts and legs napped with sauce, surrounded by sautéed potatoes and a mixed salad lightly dressed with sherry vinegar.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: New Year's Eve Entertaining??? by firechef (Here's a recipe that...)
Sounds very tasty - but, no duck for us New Year's Eve...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve Entertaining??? by cjs (Sounds very tasty - ...)
Sounds good, but I've got the "tail" piece of a tenderloin hiding in the freezer, so I'll be doing fillet mignon (sp?) for two.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.