Prep Questions
  Re: (...)
I'm making Jean's Crab Stuffed Mushrooms and Laura's Shrimp Toasts for Wednesday night appies. I'm figuring I can prep the mushrooms all the way to putting them in the oven, but the shrimp Toasts have an egg yolk in them, so how early can I prep them? And how long can I hold in the oven and what temp...200?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Prep Questions by Gourmet_Mom (I'm making Jean's Cr...)
Um...Jean? Um...Daphne has a question
  Re: Re: Prep Questions by DFen911 (Um...Jean? Um...Daph...)
AW, come on culinary graduate/Next Food Network Star...What would you do? LOL!
Actually, I've answered one question on my own and it seems pretty stupid, now that I think about it. I was curious about the prep on the shrimp ahead of time, but realized a while ago, that I'm planning on prepping a strata with raw egg Wednesday to bake and serve Christmas morning....have actually done numerous egg casseroles and held before baking. DUH

So the only question now is the holding time and temp.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Prep Questions by Gourmet_Mom (AW, come on culinary...)
You want to keep it in a "food safe zone" at around 145F+ without continuing the cooking process or you'll have rubber mushrooms and who knows about the filling.

I too am going to say one thing, "Hey Jean, Mom has a question for you!"
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Prep Questions by firechef (You want to keep it ...)
Prepping the mushrooms early is fine, but I sure wouldn't hold them after baking, they shrivel up pretty quickly. Can they be the last thing in the oven before serving?

And the egg thing, you figured out, so you're good to go.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Prep Questions by cjs (Prepping the mushroo...)
Thanks for the info on the mushrooms. I'll prep early morning. I have an antipasto platter planned, so I'll set it out when Ashley arrives and put the mushrooms and shrimp in then. I think I'm good to go if I can get this bisque made today safely...LOL! I'll go check that thread now.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Prep Questions by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the info ...)
you're fine and you're going to blow everyone's mind with your great holiday menu!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Prep Questions by cjs (you're fine and you'...)
Thanks Jean! It better blow their minds! These two meals are the most expensive gift anybody's getting...LOL! I'm finally excited about Christmas! Off to find a Christmas music channel and get cooking. Good thing it's still cool today. Between the oven and the stove going all day, I can turn off the heat...LOL!
Daphne