Odd combination - what do you think?
  Re: (...)
Reading the thread with the roasted garlic recipe has me salivating and I want some now now NOW!!!! Fran and I are having some guests tonight to start working on my Friday fish catch, 10 pounds of grouper and 8 pounds of snapper fillets. The grouper are some big boys with two of the fillets being nearly dinner plate size. We had to go 65 miles out on the Gulf to find them that large. Opps, rambling....

Fran made a spinach and pomegranate salad (delicious) and we're also serving a not yet determined vegetable, French bread, and some white wine, probably Pinot Grigio. Is there any way roasted garlic would fit in? I can make the excuse of spreading it on bread or something.

If you tell me I can't do it I'm going to make a couple bulbs for breakfast tomorrow and that's a promise.
Buzz

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.
  Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by buzzard767 (Reading the thread w...)
I have NO expertise in this area, but if I wanted roasted garlic, I'd be roasting it by now. Surely you can offer it to spread on the French bread, melt a little butter and top your tba vegetable. If you coat the fillets with bread crumb you could serve with a smear of it on top. Probblly could do that to the fillets no matter how you cook them.
Btw, congrats on the catch, we would kill for half that much fresh fish right now
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by farnfam (I have NO expertise ...)
Roasted potatoes and onions and roasted asparagus....you could use the roasted garlic AND the oil for both.

Better yet....pack those fish in with some dry ice and send them north...I'll send some on to Cis...maybe. Then you could do some steaks or a beef roast using the garlic.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (Roasted potatoes an...)
How would these little custards go with your dinner? They are so easy and fast when you already have your roasted garlic. And they are just wonderful! Have fun with this and do spread some on toasts with parmesan cheese, anchovies, sauteed mushrooms, or pesto and tomatoes, just about anything, or a garlic aioli for the fish.

Sweet Corn and Roasted Garlic Custards

1 whole garlic head
2 tsp. butter
3 cups fresh corn kernels (I used my frozen summer roasted corn)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cup fat-free milk
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Remove white papery skin from garlic head. Wrap head in foil. Bake for 40 minutes, and cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves, squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Mash pulp.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add corn; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove 1 cup of the corn, and set aside. Add onions and thyme to remaining corn in pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Coat 6 (6 oz.) custard cups with cooking spray. Combine mashed roasted garlic, green onion mixture, milk, eggs, egg yolk, salt and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Divide egg mixture evenly among prepared custard cups. Place the custard cups in a 13X9" baking pan, and add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.

Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of custard comes out clean. Remove cups from pan; cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges of custards with a knife or rubber spatula Place a plate, upside down, on top of each cup, invert onto plates. Sprinkle reserved corn evenly around each custard. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (Roasted potatoes an...)
Quote:

Better yet....pack those fish in with some dry ice and send them north...I'll send some on to Cis...maybe. Then you could do some steaks or a beef roast using the garlic.

Yuk yuk. I'm headed North all right, Wisconsin on Tuesday. Brrrrrr. I'm presently sitting on the lanai with my laptop, 77 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, just a breath of a breeze, and I'm paying money to leave this behind for nine days. I must be nuts!

This is a huge cooler - a couple of feet high with layer after layer of fish.

[Image: 100_1034.jpg]

Mangrove snapper.

[Image: 100_1040.jpg]

Grouper

[Image: 100_1041.jpg]

No, that's not I. We were on my fishing (and golfing) buddy's boat but we had hired a captain and mate. The guy in the picture, Dave, is the mate. I've never seen anyone work harder than he did.

So why the captain? Secret reef, that's why. Twenty years ago he hired a barge and dumped 50 E-Z-GO golf carts in a pile in about 100 feet of water. It's only known to him. We lowered an underwater camera and it looked like the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. What a sight. I didn't see any golf balls though....
Buzz

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
we were posting at the same time - man, wish I was closer!!!! have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by cjs (we were posting at t...)
Man...that's harsh!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by Gourmet_Mom (Man...that's harsh!...)
I forgot about the sauce. It might just be the reason I married Fran thirty years ago. ;-)

It doesn't take much because it's so darned flavorful.

Cilantro lime soy sauce:

Makes about 2/3 cup

1 clove garlic
1 t chili paste
1 1" piece fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sou sauce
2 T fresh lime juice with pulp
3 T water
1 T sugar

Place the garlic, chili paste, and ginger in a mortar and pound into a paste. Transfer paste into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.

To serve, pour into small ramekins.

Sauce may be stored in the fridge up to 2 weeks.
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by buzzard767 (I forgot about the s...)
That's not fair!!! I have special order fish like that. It used to be so different when we had our boat...oh how I miss the fresh fish bbq's.
  Re: Re: Odd combination - what do you think? by DFen911 (That's not fair!!! I...)
I am so jealous. I just love fresh fish - any kind - so much.