Chip & Dip Cookies
  Re: (...)
We went to a Christmas Party Saturday evening and these were the hit items on the cookie tray! I'm going to have to make them - and then hide them so I don't eat them all.

Chip and Dip Cookies from Relish Magazine

Tracy Schuhmacher and her son, Danny, had a holiday cookie conundrum: Danny doesn’t like nuts, and his mother doesn’t like how he eats just the frosted portion of their family’s favorite log cookies. The Penfield, N.Y., duo solved both problems by creating a prize-winning recipe—Chip and Dip Cookies—that’s also perfect for classrooms and homes concerned about nut allergies. To get the salty, crunchy taste of nuts, they substituted potato chips and pretzels. They eliminated Danny’s trail of unfrosted leftovers by dipping both ends of the logs in different colors of melted chocolate after baking. Bravo!

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup coarsely crushed potato chips
¾ cup coarsely crushed pretzels
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white baking chips
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine butter and sugar; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in potato chips and pretzels.
3. Shape level tablespoons of dough into 3-inch logs. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, 1 1⁄2 inches apart. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheet.
4. Heat semisweet chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until melted. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate and place on wax paper. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
5. Heat white baking chips in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until melted. Dip other end of cookie into melted chips and place on wax paper. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.

Tracy and Danny Schuhmacher, of Penfield, N.Y., won a $5,000 kitchen makeover and $1,000 college scholarship in the AirBake Ultra Cookie Challenge in 2006 with this recipe.

Relish the Holiday, "Slam Dunks," December 2008.
Nutritional Information
Per cookie: 240 calories, 15g fat, 30mg chol., 3g prot., 26g carbs, 1g fiber, 150mg sodium.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Chip & Dip Cookies by Harborwitch (We went to a Christm...)
hmmm, will have to try these for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chip & Dip Cookies by cjs (hmmm, will have to t...)
Well, I was looking for something different for my gift baskets, this may be it. I'm gonna give them a try. Thanks Sharon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chip & Dip Cookies by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I was looking ...)
These are addictive! Enjoy.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!