What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th?
  Re: (...)
I'll watch for some ideas from you all - I'm all out of leftovers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by cjs (I'll watch for some ...)
Depends on the weather and if Holly can grab anything before coming home. Worst case scenario is brats and a can of Bush's. Best case is rib-eye steak fajitas I think.

I know lunch is a left over seafood quesadilla from a place down in Ames I got last night. The guacamole salad, beans and rice filled me up to the point that the 12 inch over stuffed quesadilla was only two bites and then boxed up.

Well, the waffle maker is hot so time for breakfast!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by firechef (Depends on the weath...)
I'm thinking it will be Wild Mushroom Pappardelle or leftover Winter Pork Stew.

We've got winter storm warnings for tonight - we live on the southern edge of the predicted storm.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by HomeCulinarian (I'm thinking it will...)
Haven't decided, but yesterday I thawed a package of turkey and a container of broth and made turkey stew with dumplings. Today will probably be something not stew-like, might be breaded pork chops.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by Mare749 (Haven't decided, but...)
As I've said before: There's no sense paying more just to get pre-packaged "Hamburger Helper," since anyone can do essentially the same thing with any pasta, ground meat, and whatever other ingredients one wishes to use.

Last night, it went this way:

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Lb Ground chicken
  • Black pepper and achiote (annatto) powder to taste
  • 2 Canned chipotle peppers, very finely chopped, with a little of their adobo sauce
  • 2 C Water
  • 2 C Milk
  • 8 Oz Mini-shell pasta
  • About 1/2 of a 64-gram (2 1/4-oz) packet (thus, about 1 1/8 oz) of cream of chicken soup mix
  • 4 Oz Mozzarella, diced or grated
Instructions:
  1. Brown the ground chicken in the oil.
  2. Season with black pepper and achiote (there's enough salt and flavour from everything else not to add any here).
  3. Add the chipotles and stir to distribute well.
  4. Sauté a little bit more.
  5. Add the water, milk, and pasta.
  6. Bring to a boil.
  7. Add the soup mix, stirring to blend well.
  8. Allow to boil, stirring occasionally, for the time specified by the pasta package (or until al dente and the soup/sauce has thickened well).
  9. Add the Mozzarella and stir until melted and well combined.
YUMMY! Also, I have plenty left for two or three more servings, so leftovers of this is what I'll have for dinner tonight.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by labradors (As I've said before:...)
What's Hamburger Helper???? (kidding, but don't use)

We haven't had soup for a while, so think I'll get a container of Turkey Noodle soup and a wedge of 18 hour bread out of the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by cjs (What's Hamburger Hel...)
Yesterday I thawed a chuck roast. Will probably do something with it in the slow cooker. Got snow again last night, so gym will probably be cancelled. Also have a sick boy. We are hunkering in.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by cjs (What's Hamburger Hel...)
I think chili and cornbread tonight. Bob's making noise about it and I have some beef I can cut into small cubes and some leftover sausage from last night's dinner. It's chili weather!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by Harborwitch (I think chili and co...)
Leftover pasta fagioli soup and focaccia bread. I have really been enjoying getting two meals out of one effort this week. First the pot roast, now the soup. I'll get back to cooking each night next week when there's no homework/after school routine to be had.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, Dec. 18th? by Trixxee (Leftover pasta fagio...)
I'm doing Beef Bourguignon with Buttered Parsley Noodles (from Cuisine at Home, October 2007, Issue 65, page 15) and green beans or fried okra.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.