My Pork Recipes for '09
  Re: (...)
Here are the recipes I am doing for my upcoming contest. I am fanning the Wellington on the Marsala rice and the bellies and slaw will be my side dish of sorts...

Let me know what you all think!

2009 Taste of Elegance

Pork Loin Wellington

Makes 10 servings

Ingredients

2 pork tenderloins or 1 pork loin, trimmed, seasoned and seared

Duxelle
2 oz (67 g) butter
1/2 oz (14 g) garlic, minced
2 oz (67 g) onions, minced
1 t (2 g) thyme
2.75 lb (600 g) button mushrooms
1/4 c (56 g) shitaki mushrooms
1/4 c (56 g) dried apricots
1.5 oz (47 ml) white wine
1.5 oz (47 ml) maderia demi glaze
1 oz (22 ml) lemon juice
1 t (11 g) chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Farce
3 lb (759 g) minced pork
1 qt (946 ml) cream
1 t (5 g) sage
1 t (5 g) marjoram
1 t (5 g) nutmeg
1 T (12 g) chopped parsley
1 c (236 g) crumbled white bread, crust removed

1 egg
1 sheet puff pastry

Preparation

Season the pork loin and sear in a hot pan.
Prepare duxelle by heating butter in a pan, sauté the onions, garlic, thyme mushrooms and apricots. Deglaze with the wine. Add the lemon juice, parsley. Reduce to a thick consistency and season. When cool, rough chop in a buffalo chopper and mix with the farce.
Wrap the stuffing around each of the pork loins. Tightly roll up in plastic wrap and chill. Cut the pastry to match the size of the loin. Brush the outer ends of the dough with egg and tightly wrap the pork with the puff pastry. Brush the entire outside of the puff dough with egg wash.
Cook in the Combi Oven for 40 minutes at 300 F (148 C) to an internal temperature of 140 F 9 (60 C).

Pork Marsala on Rice

Yield: 10 servings

16 oz Mushrooms; sliced
4 tb Butter
2 Clove garlic; minced
3 tb Olive oil
3 lb Pork tenderloin
1 c Chicken stock
1/2 c Marsala wine
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Black pepper
Rice

In 10- inch fry pan, over medium heat, saute mushrooms in butter, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set side. Slice pork 1/4 inch thick. In same pan, over medium-high heat, saute garlic in 1 tbsp oil, about 2 minutes. Add pork medallions, a few at a time, cook about 2 minutes each side. Remove from pan and repeat until all pork is browned, adding more oil if needed. Reduce heat to low, stir in chicken stock to deglazed pan. Return pork to pan; add wine, seasonings and mushrooms; cover and cook 20-25 minutes, until pork is tender. Serve with rice. Makes 10 servings

Bourbon Glazed, Cedar-Planked Pork Bellies

(Serves 8)

2 lbs. pork belly, trimmed and cut into 2-inch strips

Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

¼ cup molasses

½ cup bourbon (I like Makers Mark)

2 cups homemade or store-bought, canned, low-sodium chicken broth

Steps: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat a large, heavy, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season the pork belly with salt and pepper. Add the pork and brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer pork to a rack set over a baking sheet.

Carefully add bourbon to deglaze the pan and then the molasses. Add pork back into mixture and turn several times to coat the pork on all sides. Add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low. Place in the oven and cook until the pork is tender, and liquid is reduced back to a glaze, about 1½ hours.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer pork to the soaked cedar planks that have been lined with a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Brush on remaining glaze in the pan.

Place pork belly planks on medium high grill and heat until plank begins to burn and smoke. Planks may catch on fire, but that is a good thing. Keep a squirt bottle filled with water on hand to douse flames as necessary.

To serve, remove pork belly from the plank, place on a cutting board and carefully slice the belly into portions. You can serve the pork belly by itself or with a tart apple slaw (recipe follows). Either way you will not be disappointed.

Tart Apple Slaw

(Serves 8)

2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith or pippin, seeds removed and cut into a thin, half-moon slices

2 Belgium endive, cut into ½-inch-thick slices and separated by hand

Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 T. honey

2 T. apple cider vinegar

2 T. sour cream

1 tsp. chopped mint

Steps: In a medium bowl combine honey, vinegar, sour cream and mint, mix well. It is good to have the dressing ready before you cut your apples so you may toss it immediately to avoid any browning of your apples.

Add apples and toss in dressing, adjust seasoning as necessary and serve immediately.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: My Pork Recipes for '09 by firechef (Here are the recipes...)
It all sounds awesome...except the apricots in the duxelle...but you know me! I'm weird that way. If I had to pick a fruit, apricots are better than most. But everything else sounds like a WINNER! Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake!

Geez, you and Denise...you keep me busy! But I love you both and wish you well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Pork Recipes for '09 by Gourmet_Mom (It all sounds awesom...)
LJ, I just lost a whole long post for you!! Crap!

You have 2 3/4 cups liquid at 325F. for ~1 1/2 hours - covered/uncovered? I don't think you can get the melt in your mouth feel plus the glazing.

Anyway, the gist of it was I'm finding cooking pork bellys at a lower temp (250-300F) for approx. 4 hours (2 covered, 2 uncovered for glazing) and are you removing the rind? The rind comes out melt in your mouth tender.

Also, I mentioned how the fat does not taste very good when cold, so it concerns me you will be topping an apple slaw with the pieces which will cool them down immediately.

My next concern is everything is 'soft'flavor and texture - can you add crunch and/or bitter/sharp flavor anywhere? Maybe the sweet/rich of the pork belly with a garlic noodle (hot).

Just some things to think on or you can tell me to go jump in the lake.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Pork Recipes for '09 by cjs (LJ, I just lost a wh...)
Thank you for the points Jean...I will have to play with these a bit and keep you posted.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: My Pork Recipes for '09 by firechef (Thank you for the po...)
I have no experience with pork bellies so I'm out on advice on that one.

Now I do like the apricots added to the duxelle. That will just enough sweetness to the pork.

And I agree with Jean about needing a texture opposite. On the pork marsala what about taking some of the mushrooms and frying them crisp as a topping?

I would LOVE to sit down and enjoy all of the food you're preparing...those judges aren't gonna know what hit em
  Re: Re: My Pork Recipes for '09 by DFen911 (I have no experience...)
Excellent idea Denise. I'll play with that one at work on Wednesday...

The marsala is a "base" for the Wellington to lay on so it is still somewhat "playable" for a few weeks even though the recipes have gone to the Iowa Pork Producers for publication...can't tweak too much but can play some.
  Re: Re: My Pork Recipes for '09 by firechef (Excellent idea Denis...)
Your hardest challenge will be getting some of that shipped from your below zero temps to me and have it be hot for dinner. But I know you're up for it hehe