OT-Oh what a week!
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone! Hope all are surviving their variations of winter weather as best they can. We are only dealing with the -30F wind chills until Tuesday when we are expecting about a foot of snow and then Thursday we are expecting an ice storm that they are already saying could be similar to that of the Northeastern United States and then turning to snow for another half of a foot before it ends on Friday...Just think, winter does NOT begin until Sunday!!!

In other great news we got our new house! We close on the 8th of January! We have enough left over (about $8,000.00 below listed price) to allow us to put in brand new hard wood throughout the entire house! I am getting brand new cabinets as well as new paint, light fixtures, sinks(including kitchen)and my future in-laws are giving us a new dishwasher for Christmas and my Mother is having a new furnace and all new duct work put in for us. Since we already have the house we are living in we do not have to hurry too much on the work but my future brother-in-law is taking a weeks vacation to do all of the work on the new house when we close! We hope to be moved in by the end of January! The list of new things we are putting in is almost too long to list. It will be nice to have four bedrooms in place of one. A living room with a fire place, 2 half bathrooms and a full bath, a HUGE family room with NEW French doors to the deck and large fenced in yard and sky lights in the family room. The totally redesigned kitchen and a finished basement with a new laundry room and rec room with wood stove! It is just south of Fort Dodge which has Holly happy and I am happy as it is more rural than what we have now. I have not been there without seeing deer or turkeys or pheasant in the front yard! Needless to say we are very excited.

In the work world I have been "officially" promoted to Chef de Cuisine and received a nice raise to go with the title. I am also officially a contestant in the Iowa Pork Producers Taste of Elegance Competition (menu and recipes to follow!) January 13, 14, and 15 the hotel is hosting a film cast and crew filming a Ray Liotta film that is being filmed throughout Iowa and the mid-west. Two of our rooms and a few other areas are having scenes shot in them. We are working in a support roll along with the catering crew that is traveling with the movie types. Pretty neat way to wind down from the Holiday season!!!

In other fun things we had a blast at Mannheim Steamroller last night!!! I have never seen anything like it!!! What a blast...

Sorry to have rambled but that is life for me and mine in Iowa and why I have not been around all that much of late. Hope all is well for all of my friends and family here as well!?!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: OT-Oh what a week! by firechef (Hi everyone! Hope a...)
OMG that is just too cold!! I don't know how you all deal with that type of weather.

Great news on the house Oh my gosh that is so exciting and you will love those floors. I have hard wood throughout and have no idea how I did it with carpeting.

Holly must be so excited.

Congrats on the promotion Mr. Chefie Pants! Now show those pups how do a pork dish and bring home the bacon..er..gold
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by DFen911 (OMG that is just too...)
Wow, LJ, what a convergence of good news on all fronts.

Your weather is coming our way... It was 50 ish yesterday afternoon, and 11 degrees this morning with icy roads, and only a dusting of snow.
  Re: OT-Oh what a week! by firechef (Hi everyone! Hope a...)
Goodness gracious LJ! Sorry about the nasty weather. Ours is bad, for us, but not near what yours is.

Congrats on the house. Mmmmmmmmmmm hardwood floors!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by bjcotton (Goodness gracious LJ...)
Yahoooweeee! Finally! I LOVE it when things finally go well! Everything sounds great, LJ! My mom LOVES Mannheim Steamroller! She especially loves their Christmas music. I have bought her all their CDs.

I hope you survive the remodel/holiday work/move! I bet you haven't thought about that...LOL! No rest for the weary!

Love you and wish I was close enough to help.

Hey, and where are my holiday pics/cards?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by Gourmet_Mom (Yahoooweeee! Finall...)
We have been so busy between all of my work (averaging about 150 hours every pay period) and Holly working on stuff for the new house that Christmas pictures and cards have not been done. Heck, we are not even decorating this year due to schedules and everything. Lucky for me after Friday night I have nothing on the books other than regular restaurant business until New Year's Eve and then a wedding on the 3rd of January. We are pretty much booked due to the movie filming for the middle of January so that will cut down on some business.

We do have a new digital camera so I will make sure some updated pictures get emailed soon so you can share them with the rest of the family here!

As for the remodel...I have trouble pounding screws so they don't let me do much other than staying out of the way. That will be Holly, her brother and one of his friends that is also taking a week off of work to help with the work. We are currently about $1,200.00 below budget so we might get a few other goodies for the place...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by firechef (We have been so busy...)
Congrats! Lj

First homes are always wonderful and memorable!

Recipes for Pork look really interesting - thanks for sharing

We are having a really cold week here and more snow mid week -

Merry Christmas

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by mjkcooking (Congrats! Lj [br][b...)
You're forgiven..but I'll expect a pic (cybermail or snail mail) for Gammy D by February for my birthday present!

Have I told you how excited I am?!?!?!?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by Gourmet_Mom (You're forgiven..but...)
...as a side note...our February Las Vegas trip is now looking like a mid-to-late April trip due to my work and "vacation time"...be sure to pass that information on to all that might have been planing on joining us!!!
  Re: Re: OT-Oh what a week! by firechef (...as a side note......)
Our tenth anniversary is in April--maybe we can close the shop for a week and come and be a part of the wedding festivities. You're going to need a spectacular cake, right? I'd be only too happy to design and create one for you!

By the way--if Armand Assante happens to set a foot on that movie location YOU HAVE TO call me. I LOVE THAT MAN! I'd be in Iowa in a flash!

Congrats on the new house and the promotion! And I too have been anxiously waiting for my Christmas card and photos!!!!

Okay--better get dressed and off to work!