Next Review Dinner - January 5th?
  Re: (...)
We all have to cook and eat, so if we keep it simple, maybe we could choose a soup/stew/chili or something easy and non-fussy and maybe most of us could get to it, maybe????

I'll start with -

Garlic Buns
from Sandwiches & Salads
makes 12 rolls

6 frozen dinner roll dough balls
2 T. unsalted butter
1 T. olive oil
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 T. parmesan, grated
1 T. minced fresh parsley
Salt to taste

Thaw balls of dough according to pkg. directions. When soft, cut each in half and reshape into rounds. Place 1-2" apart on a baking sheet that's been lightly coated with non-stick spray.

Cover rolls loosely with a damp cloth or plastic wrap, and let rise at room temp. until doubled, about 1 hour. preheat oven to 350F.

Bake rolls until golden, 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the garlic butter.

Warm butter, oil and garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat (don't brown); cook until garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Brush hot rolls with garlic butter, transfer to a bowl and toss with Parmesan, parsley, and salt.

So, now we need -

soup/stew/chili/whatever
salad
dessert
appy?

Simple is good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by cjs (We all have to cook ...)
What about the 24 Karat Chili from Issue 13, p. 34?

Brown in 2 tsp. Vegetable Oil:
2 1/2 lbs. beef roast, cubed

Add (1st Spices); Bring to a Boil:
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) beef broth
2 cups water
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
2 T. onion powder
2 T. beef bouillon granules
1 T. paprika
1 T. Texas chili powder
1 T. ground chili pepper
1 t. chicken bouillon granules
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. MSG
1/4 t. seasoning salt

Add (2nd Spices):
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 T. Texas chili powder
1 T. Gebhardt chili powder
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. MSG
1/4 t. seasoning salt

Add (3rd Spices):
1 T. Texas chili powder
1 T. Gebhardt chili powder
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder

Add (4th Spices):
1 T. Texas chili powder
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. garlic powder

Adjust Salt; Add for Heat: Tabasco sauce

Heat oil over medium-high heat.

Brown the beef (in batches, if necessary) in a single layer. The darker, the better.

Add the beef broth, water, one can of tomato sauce, and the first set of spices. Stir to blend. It will be a little thin, but not for long. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer. You’ll notice that you’re going to be adding spices at different times.

Add the remaining can of tomato sauce and the second set of spices, after two hours. Blend well. Cover and continue cooking.

Add the third set of spices, ten minutes later.

Add the final set of spices, ten minutes after that, and cook for 10 more minutes.

Add more salt as needed for taste and Tabasco sauce for heat. Notice how much thicker it is now than when you added the first spices. In each bowl, garnish with an avocado fan and 2 T. of sour cream. Place 5 or 6 tortilla strips per serving. Stick in the sour cream.
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by DFen911 (What about the 24 Ka...)
How did I miss this one??? How fun it sounds. That's two!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by cjs (How did I miss this ...)
I'll have to pass. I think we'll still be on the road.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by Lorraine (I'll have to pass. ...)
"I think we'll still be on the road." - don't rub it in, we're stuck up here....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by cjs ("I think we'll still...)
Hey Denise, we're having chili too...Stagg Chili with Frito corn chips or Reubens. Don't know which.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by bjcotton (Hey Denise, we're ha...)
No Billy, try to stay with us here...we're planning a review dinner in stages with different folks picking out a course - an easy course to go with the hectic times. (bless your heart! )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by cjs (No Billy, try to sta...)
I'm assuming since I can't get those chili powders, I could use what I can find, but add at intervals? Sounds good to me! (Although, I've missed the last one...or two?) But I've got off for two weeks coming up!

But hey, where's the sour cream here?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm assuming since I...)
Daphne, the sour cream isn't in the list of ingredients, but they do mention it as a garnish at the end of the recipe.

Does anyone else think that this sounds like an awful lot of chili powder and cumin? Other than that, it does sound like an interesting recipe to try.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner - January 5th? by Mare749 (Daphne, the sour cre...)
Oh, OK. I see it now. Funny, they usually list the garnish in the ingredients list.

Seven tablespoons for 2 1/2 pounds of beef sounds about right to me, but we like a lot of chili powder. I have a feeling the different types would add a different flavor from the garden variety I get here.

As for the cumin, I don't know that I have used much in mine before, but we have developed a "taste" for it. I have even started buying it in bulk at the Asian Market. Come to think of it, they also carry a little Mexican stuff, so I may scope out the chili powders next time I'm there over the holiday.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.