Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th
  Re: (...)
I'm thawing out pkgs. of turkey, ham, dressing, yams, pumpkin pie and we're going to have a Thanksgiving redux (is that right?)

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by cjs (I'm thawing out pkgs...)
We are having dinner at a friend's tonight. I am bringing the Brown Derby salad Daphne posted a while back. Looking forward to an evening with friends, we usually play games afterwards and it gets pretty funny after a few drinks.
My friend is making the lasagna everyone raved about.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by chef_Tab (We are having dinner...)
Either take out or sitting down somewhere. We have my son's annual IEP meeting this afternoon. And I will be ready for a glass of wine after that. Immediately.

I have a coupon for a small pizza chain here called Oggi's. That's a possibility.
  Re: Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by chef_Tab (We are having dinner...)
I'll be baking cookies with my oldest grandbaby, Katie, who is 5 now, so it will probably be grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight for us. This is Ron's last weekend hunting in Pa. so I figured this was a good time to get some baking done.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by Mare749 (I'll be baking cooki...)
Tonight is teenage daughter's bday dinner... filet mignon with brown mushroom sauce, twice baked potatoes (already made), roasted asparagus, and for dessert - chocolate espresso torte with raspberry sauce (CAH issue #7, already made)
  Re: Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by HomeCulinarian (Tonight is teenage d...)
Quote:

Tonight is teenage daughter's bday dinner... filet mignon with brown mushroom sauce, twice baked potatoes (already made), roasted asparagus, and for dessert - chocolate espresso torte with raspberry sauce (CAH issue #7, already made)

Isn't that torte just the best!! A bit of a pain to make with the chocolate glaze, but it's just sooooooo sinful.

Barbara

Edit to add: I swap out some of the espresso for Chambord liquer.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Friday night has turned into a no-brainer lately...steak, baked potato, and salad. That way I don't have to cook much. I am really needing my break after next week. I'm usually pooped by Friday...I do good to make myself get in the car to go to work by Friday.

Jeanette, the birthday dinner sounds awesome. I want to come to your house!

Hey Jean, we're doing what you're doing tomorrow night!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

Isn't that torte just the best!! A bit of a pain to make with the chocolate glaze, but it's just sooooooo sinful.

Edit to add: I swap out some of the espresso for Chambord liquer.

I've made this for special occasions - mostly teenage daughter's birthday cake - many times. I don't have a pedestal to put the torte on for pouring on the glaze and I came up with putting the torte (on the cardboard disk) on an upside down dinner plate on top of old newspapers. The excess glaze collects on the newspaper that I roll up and throw away.

Now the Chambord is a fabulous suggestion for an addition... we'll try that next time.
  Re: Re: Dinner Friday Night - Dec. 12th by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

I don't have a pedestal to put the torte on for pouring on the glaze and I came up with putting the torte (on the cardboard disk) on an upside down dinner plate on top of old newspapers. The excess glaze collects on the newspaper that I roll up and throw away.

You do what??!!!!

Uh-uh, I save the excess and EAT IT!! That's why I was asking ab out "re-glazing" with leftover glaze.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Oh my, I'm sorry!!! This cake is soooooo rich that I don't feel compelled to eat the excess glaze. Also, I've found that reglazing the top makes a mess of the smooth finish. I use some of the excess to touch up the sides.