Office Holiday Party
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Next week is my department's holiday party. I'm new to this department (but not the department head) so I want to make an impression. I'm looking at the sign-up list and I'm thinking something for dessert.

It would have to be something I can do the night before and take with me the day of.

Suggestions, please...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Office Holiday Party by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Next...)
How many? If a few, you could do individual Pot d' creme in espresso cups. Pipe whipped cream on top at the last minute.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by cjs (How many? If a few, ...)
When my husband first started this job, I made Emeril Lagasse's banana cream pie. It was the hugest hit, but the funny thing was, everyone was asking my husband(who knows nothing about cooking or chefs) for the recipe. He told them the recipe came from "Bella Lugosi". They were confused until one woman realized his mistake and said, "Do you mean Emeril Lagasse?". I laughed so hard when he came home with that story. Seriously, though, anything chocolate is usually scarfed down quickly.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by chef_Tab (When my husband firs...)
There will be about 36 people at the party. I'm leaning towards a cheesecake which I can make on Monday so it will chill pretty good by Thursday. Will alsomake some nuts that I sent Billy for the care packages for overseas troops.

Banana cream pie sounds good. I'll check it out at the Food Network website.

Thanks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by BarbaraS (There will be about ...)
Here's a cheesecake we did for an apprenticeship dinner a few years ago and it became a family favorite!

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHOCOLATE-GLAZED IRISH CREAM CHEESECAKE

CRUST:
6 graham crackers
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- melted
FILLING:
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese -- room temp
7 Tbsps sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
6 Tbsps Irish cream liqueur
6 Tbsps sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extrac
GLAZE:
1/2 cup whipping cream
9 ozs good-quality semisweet chocolate -- chopped
GARNISH:
1 oz white chocolate curls (estimated qty)
raspberries for garnish (~2-3)
1 sprig mint for garnish

CRUST:
1. Oven to 350°
2. Finely grind graham cracker; add butter & blend till combined.
3. Press crust mixture into bottom (NOT SIDES) of a 9" springform pan.
4. Bake crust till golden brown, ~8 min.

FILLING:
1. Using an elect. mixer, beat cream cheese & sugar till smooth. Add flour, then the eggs, one at a time, beating till just combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Pour filling into the pan & bake for 10 min. at 350°.
4. Reduce oven temp. to 250° and continue baking till set, ~40 min. longer.
5. Cool. Cover & chill in refrigerator overnight.

GLAZE:
1. Bring cream to a simmer; remove from heat & add chopped chocolate.
2. Stir till melted.
3. Cool till glaze is lukewarm.

COMPLETING:
1. Once cheesecake is chilled, remove the sides of the springform pan & place the cake on a rack set over a b. sheet.
2. Pour glaze over the cheesecake, spreading w/offset spatula to cover top and sides; allow excess to drip onto the sheet.
3. Let glaze set before serving.

GARNISH:
Place slice of cheesecake back of plate, top w/white chocolate curls. On either side, place 3 berries and a mint sprig. or culinary pansies.

Description:
"Every year the apprentices going through the A.C.F. (American Culinary Federation) culinary program put on a dinner for the community. The year we served this cheesecake the plates were licked clean!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by cjs (Here's a cheesecake ...)
Ooooooooo....

Barbara
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by BarbaraS (Ooooooooo....[br][br...)
Jean,

I've worked with chocolate glaze from the Chocolate Espresso Torte recipe in an early issue of C@H.

Is this one fairly runny? I know you're to just pour it on top and make sure the sides get covered, but you want that *flat/smooth* top without using utensils.

I wonder what would happen if I captured all the leftover glaze, heated it a little and re-poured over the cake again?

Barbara
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]I've wo...)
That sounds sinful, Jean. Adding it to my list to try...
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by HomeCulinarian (That sounds sinful, ...)
Barbara, this glaze makes a perfectly smooth top - if you want to add some of the run off, I wouldn't add to the top, but maybe to the sides. If you pour slowly, you really should not have much run off.

Oh Jeanette, it is and it's such a pretty offering. We served with little spring flowers on the plate.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Office Holiday Party by cjs (Barbara, this glaze ...)
Wow! This one's copied and saved. Thanks Jean! Jean, would the glaze work with some Kahlua in it?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.