He Won An Auction Item!!!!
  Re: (...)
The Inn was invited back to the March Of Dimes auction this year. (Not surprising, as they provide free food) I guess it's a sign of the times. They usually max out at 300 people. This year, they barely got 125. None of the companies bought corporate tables. He phoned me when the auction was over, really excited, yet very ticked off.

One of the auction items was a "Nose To Tail" pork dinner for 8, including wine pairing. It's at an Italian restaurant in Charlottesville, and this is definitely not on their menu. So, the Chef has to come up with a menu, get the ingredients and cook it. They were hoping for an opening bid of $400.00, cheap for what is being offered. Nope, opening bid was $200.00. Not many were interested, and they were upping the bids by only a few dollars. He was so angry at the low bids, that he upped them by $25.00. Someone then upped it by a few dollars. So, he upped it by another $25.00, and got it. The Chef from the restaurant was there, and was so Glad gil got it, that he came over to talk to him. Needless to say, they both love pork, and got into quite a discussion about it.

Our problem? We don't know 6 people we would want to invite, or who would appreciate it. Do you think instead of 8 people going once, the two of us can go 4 times? Just a thougth.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by Lorraine (The Inn was invited ...)
Wow! Must be a sign of the times. Lucky you though, you both will enjoy the dinner. You can't find 6 more hungry people?! Sad there were no more bidders. People just arent' spending money these days.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by luvnit (Wow! Must be a sign ...)
I would to do something like that. What a fun thing for you guys to do

What about neighbors? Co-Workers?

Buy me a plane ticket and have me join you? Hahaha
  Re: Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by DFen911 (I would to do someth...)
Sad, but true, it is a sign of the times, Lorraine. What a wonderful thing for Gil to do. So, when are you suppose to go have this dinner? Are you going to take some coolers with you?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by Mare749 (Sad, but true, it is...)
Take someone from a homeless shelter or Women's shelter or.....get me back there! What a shame for the charity.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by cjs (Take someone from a ...)
It is really sad there was not much participation. How sweet that Gil chipped in to make things right...or at least better than it would have been.

I like Jean's idea. Of course, I'm almost close enough to join you....LOL! But then, that would still only add two more. Jean's idea is better...or you could invite some local families who benefit from the charity. I bet some of those parents could use a night out for a nice dinner.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by DFen911 (I would to do someth...)
For neighbours, we only have his cook that lives downstairs,. So, she's in. Co-workers? The owner and his wife are so picky, I would never sit at a table with them.

" homeless shelter or Women's shelter or. "

The Methodist Church in the backyard does a dinner every Tuesday for the less fortunate. I guess I could go talk to them. If I was back in Winnipeg, I'd have to scratch friends off the list. I was just hoping for friends and family. I 'll see what happens.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: He Won An Auction Item!!!! by Lorraine (For neighbours, we o...)
Lorraine, Your Gil is obviously a good guy and you should consider yourself blessed to have such a "problem" as deciding who to share your dinner with... .

Sharing with the community would be a nice way to get involved in your new hometown. Let us know how it turns out.