Good eats in Chicago!
  Re: (...)
Hubby and I went to Chicago for the weekend to celebrate our son's birthday with him. We had some nice meals while we were there - didn't take a single photo, though.

After the Illinois-Georgia game at the United Center, we went to Frontera Grill for a late lunch. (I couldn't possibly remember these details and went to their website and copied from the posted menu.) We shared Entrems Surtido: appetizer platter of cheesy quesadillas, crispy chicken taquitos with sour cream, tangy ceviche tostadas, crunchy jicama salad and guacamole. Son had Huevos Estilo El Bajo: two poached eggs in crispy masa boats with black beans, creamy chile poblano sauce, Mexican greens and homemade chorizo. Hubby had Pozole Rojo: a big comforting bowl of Mexicos classic pork and hominy soup/stew infused with rich red chile and topped with all the classic crunchy, aromatic garnishes. And, I had Sopa de Tortilla: a large earthenware bowl of rich tortilla soup with chicken, chile pasilla, avocado, queso fresco and homemade sour cream. I also had one of their signature margaritas. Rick Bayless was there dining about 3 tables over. We didn't try to meet him.

Then for dinner we went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse . Someone had mentioned it here that even though it was a chain they still liked it a lot. It was so close to our hotel and it had the best overall rating on the various websites for the restaurants in River North, so we went there for a late dinner. It was also very good. We had planned to walk for a while before eating, but it was so darned cold, we showed up about an hour before our reservation and hung out in the bar. Got a spot near the wait service bartender. It was entertaining to watch him work (I was a cocktail waitress in a former life). For starters, I had the baby arugula salad and Hubby had the Caesar. Then for the entree, I chose a petite fillet Oscar style and Hubby had the rib-eye. Both were seasoned and done perfectly. We shared mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, and some wine. The funny part was our waiter. While we were by the wait station at the bar he was a regular Americano. When he was our waiter, he turned on an Eastern European accent. We thought maybe he's an actor waiting for his callback, or something.

On Sunday we went shopping and had lunch at Mity Nice Grill in Water Tower Place. I had been there before with a girl friend and it's a nice little place - very inexpensive for the area. I had their chopped salad and hubby apparently didn't get enough red meat the night before and had their Au poivre burger. Then it was back home.
  Re: Good eats in Chicago! by HomeCulinarian (Hubby and I went to ...)
Sounds like you had a nice time! Thanks for the review. I still haven't tried the steak house yet. Nice to hear it's good. Funny about the waiter...so pretentious!
Quote:

hubby apparently didn't get enough red meat the night before and had their Au poivre burger.

Too funny! Sounds like mine!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

Son had Huevos Estilo El Bajo: two poached eggs in crispy masa boats with black beans, creamy chile poblano sauce, Mexican greens and homemade chorizo.

This just sounds sooo good. What a nice trip! I always forget to take pictures too. I need to get a case for my camera so it's easier for me to grab my camera.
  Re: Re: Good eats in Chicago! by DFen911 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh my, doesn't it all sound so good!! Of course Frontera has been entered for a while, but made note of the other two in the Illinois section of the little black book.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
You missed going to one of the Lou Malnetti's pizza restaurants. Malnetti's makes the best deep dish pizza on the planet. The bottom layer is solid sausage and that's just the start. Fran and I have been hooked on it for over thirty years, having lived in Chicago in the "old" days. Even down here in Florida we get withdrawal fits and order five packs with two day shipping. It isn't as good as fresh in the shops but it sure beats anything available in Naples, and to think this place has an Italian name.
Buzz

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.
  Re: Re: Good eats in Chicago! by buzzard767 (You missed going to ...)
Buzz - We have had about every Chicago pizza there is to have - we get great Chicago style pizza in Champaign at Papa Dels any time. We opted for something different this trip. Pop's also sells pizzas by mail. We're friends with the owners and Hubby was his frat brother and one of the first employees - just admitting my bias.
  Re: Re: Good eats in Chicago! by HomeCulinarian (Buzz - We have had a...)
Oh my goodness, Jeanette, that sounds like a throwdown/showdown if ever I saw one! I say whoever wins, I order one online. I'd love to try a good Chicago pizza! YUM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Good eats in Chicago! by HomeCulinarian (Buzz - We have had a...)
Quote:

Buzz - We have had about every Chicago pizza there is to have - we get great Chicago style pizza in Champaign at Papa Dels any time. We opted for something different this trip. Pop's also sells pizzas by mail. We're friends with the owners and Hubby was his frat brother and one of the first employees - just admitting my bias.

Next time you're in Chicago give Malnetti's a shot. Fran and I zero in on the restaurant on Higgins Road about a mile or two east of Arlington Heights Rd. I think this is the original store but am not positive. We've been eating there for over thirty years although we didn't live in the Chicago area nearly that long. Fran was a flight attendant for thirty-five years and I was a pilot for thirty-one and that particular Malnetti's was on the way home from O'Hare after trips when we lived there. Nowadays, when we have to overnight in Chicago we ALWAYS find a way to get there. It's very special. Picture the secret crust, the bottom layer of solid sausage, the layer of cheese, the mushrooms, the.... ooooh I think I'm having a heart attack....

Seriously, I've never had better pizza.

Buzz
  Re: Re: Good eats in Chicago! by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hey, Buzz, do you two still work for the airline? Too cool that you both worked in the same biz. Thirty years....that's a long time. Good for you!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Good eats in Chicago! by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, Buzz, do you tw...)
Fran and I are both retired. We saw all of the best years in the industry and thankfully avoided all the recent problems.

Buzz