Our Christmas Party
  Re: (...)
Every year it seems like I try to outdo myself from the previous year...this year (tomorrow night), I'm going to good ole comfort food and nothing fancy. In fact, I'm trying a new tactic this year with our friends and neighbors - now, I know this will sound so b*tchy, but darn it it's true. I get my menu all set and how I want to present it and then someone brings a dish out of left field that doesn't anymore go with what I'm planning than anything!! (told you it would sound b*tchy!) So, when asked if they could bring something, I said yes, why not bring an appetizer. I told everyone that and I'm not making any appetizers - we'll go with what is offered. Whew, I hope this works.

Our Menu -

Faux Champagne & wine to go with appetizers

Baked Mostacioli with a luscious Bolognese sauce
(Thank you Cis or Maryann for mentioning adding chicken livers to your sauce - what a nice addition. I used turkey livers from Thanksgiving)

Onion Gratin
Apricot & Pineapple Salad
18 Hour Bread (3 of them!)

Chocolate Pot de Creme
Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce

And then, and then I'm going to tell them that all the recipes are from the new book coming out in January (hope, hope, hope), a Chef's Journey.....Home
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Our Christmas Party by cjs (Every year it seems ...)
Sounds wonderful,Jean, and a GREAT plug for the new cookbook.
Hope your "bring an appetizer" plan works out. If someone does bring a dish out of left field, maybe you could say "Thank you so very much, this doesn't really go with the wines I've chosen, but I'm going to put it in the fridge and Roy and I will enjoy it later, Thanks again" or something like that
Cis
Empress for Life
No sounds great Jean. (You don't sound b*tchy to me honey. I know just how you feel.) Making them responsible for appetizers sounds perfect. You will have to give us a report on the appys to see what they all came up with.

So does the faux champagne and wine have alcohol in it? If I remember right we talked about this faux champagne before and I thought it did. Do you have the recipes handy dear. I would love to give them a try over the holidays.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Our Christmas Party by luvnit (No sounds great Jean...)
Our wines do have alcohol in them... But the faux champagne does not - it's so good!

FAUX CHAMPAGNE

34 ozs bottle carbonated water, chilled
34 ozs ginger ale, chilled
24 ounces unsweetened white grape juice, chilled
Ice cubes or party ice cubes (see below)

In a lg. pitcher combine carbonated water, ginger ale, & grape juice.
Pour over ice cubes in chilled champagne glasses or wine glasses (or punch bowl).

Serve immediately. Makes about 20 4-oz. servings.

FOR PARTY ICE: Place small pcs. of fruit (berries or tiny citrus wedges), small sprigs of fresh mint, or 1/2" strips of orange peel into the compartments of ice cube trays. Add enuf water to fill, then freeze.

Yield:
"20 4-oz servings"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Party guests love this 'punch' - Be sure to take extra.

---
Invariably we would run out of this at parties and Roy would have to quickly run to the store for more supplies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
" told you it would sound b*tchy "

Not at all, Jean,. You sound like me.

Is the Onion Gratin the one you used to make when catering? The menu sounds great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Our Christmas Party by Lorraine (" told you it would ...)
Sounds GREAT Jean...love the plug! I hope it works out for you. That would be so frustrating.

Oh, and I don't think it sounds b*tchy either.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Our Christmas Party by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds GREAT Jean......)
Yes, Lorraine, that's the one - it used to be called "Gourmet Onions" in the 60-70s, always detested that name, so pretentious.

I'm glad it doesn't sound too b*tcy to you all.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Our Christmas Party by cjs (Yes, Lorraine, that'...)
Quote:

I'm glad it doesn't sound too b*tcy to you all.

Didn't this topic come up before?

We're not b*tchy.

We're not OCD peoples.

We're organizers .

As well as COOKS!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Our Christmas Party by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
What is that word? Applied to our Jean? I am offended! In the South we would reply to anyone associating it with her "How Nice"--in gentle circles. Anybody know what that means down here?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Our Christmas Party by cjs (Yes, Lorraine, that'...)
Quote:

... always detested that name, so pretentious.

How about this one that used to be on Long Beach Island, NJ, thirty years ago:

Sensuous Lobsters
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?