Yay Calphalon!
  Re: (...)
Hi All,

A while ago I posted a Q about what you prefer to cook with. Nine years ago my hubby got me a set of Calphalon Commercial Non-stick cookware for Christmas. And since then, I've added to it here and there and now possess a fairly complete set. Okay, I still need a saucier, but since I suck at making sauces, I'll let that go for now.

About 5 years ago, the 3 QT saute pan stopped being non-stick. So, in accordance with the Lifetime Warranty, I sent the pan back to Calphalon for replacement. And I got their new Calphalon One saute pan in return. No small deal, this sucker goes for $199.

Well just recently I got off my big behind and finally sent back the 8" and 10" skillets that also failed on me. Now, I was a little skeptical that they would replace them because the suface looked like it had little cuts to it. When I originally got the cookware, I religiously replaced all my metal utensils with Calphalon utensils - flippers, ladles, etc. I learned back in the 70's when my mom got her first Teflon pans to never, ever use metal utensils or even, dare I say it, use a knife to cut something in the pan. I can only surmise that the flipper I used made those marks. It does have a sharp edge to it.

So lo and behold, yesterday I come home to find a big package on my doorstep.

And it contained my new 8" and 10" Calphalon One skillets!!

I know that everbody has their own preferences when it comes to cookware, but I just wanted to give KUDOS to Calphalon for holding up their end of the bargain when it came to their Lifetime Warranty. They could have yanked me around about replacing almost $400 worth of cookware, but they didn't.

Thanks Calphalon!!

Barbara
  Re: Yay Calphalon! by BarbaraS (Hi All,[br][br]A whi...)
Wow, Barbara, I'm seriously considering sending mine back. Neither of my 10 or 12" sautee pans retained anything close to non-stick status. Truthfully, I wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty. Did you have to provide documentation of the purchases?
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by iBcookin (Wow, Barbara, I'm se...)
When I got all my cookware I filled out the registration forms and sent them back. I don't know of they checked for them since it was 9 years ago. I included a letter documenting the failure and my personal info if they wanted to contact me.

You could always contact them via their website and inquire.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by BarbaraS (When I got all my co...)
Great story! I received the same sort of treatment from the Pfaltzgraf people when my silverware was rusting after 3 years. They have a wonderful warranty and they replaced everythign free with no hassles.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Yay Calphalon! by BarbaraS (Hi All,[br][br]A whi...)
Wow, that's great! I love a company that backs up their products. I still shop at Land's End and LL Bean for that very reason, the number of bookbags they have replaced over the years...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by pjcooks (Wow, that's great! ...)
Great story, Barbara! It is unusual to hear such great success stories. So many companies give you such a run around, it becomes a matter of whether it's worth it or not. I had just such a case with cell phones last winter. After months of calling and harassing and getting the run around, I got a supervisor and got my phones replaced WITH a rebate. I was within a month of the end of my contract after YEARS of being a good customer. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but they came through. I glad your story came out much better.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by Gourmet_Mom (Great story, Barbara...)
PJ, isn't LLBean the best!! We STILL have Heidi's old bookbag, it's in great shape, we use it as a carry on.
Barb, so glad Calphalon came thru for you, I will definitely consider that before my next cookware purchase.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by farnfam (PJ, isn't LLBean the...)
Quote:

PJ, isn't LLBean the best!! We STILL have Heidi's old bookbag, it's in great shape, we use it as a carry on.
Barb, so glad Calphalon came thru for you, I will definitely consider that before my next cookware purchase.

Great!!

I just sent them an email thanking them with a link to this thread.

I'll be a Calphalon customer for the rest of my cooking life!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I bowed the bottom of my 12" Calphalon saute. Do you think they would replace it?
  Re: Re: Yay Calphalon! by HomeCulinarian (I bowed the bottom o...)
Quote:

I bowed the bottom of my 12" Calphalon saute. Do you think they would replace it?

Well it depends. Calphalon has an abuse/wrong use clause in their warranty. Their stovetop cookware can be used in the oven but not to be subjected to temps above 500 degrees.

The abuse clause suggests not using harse cleaners/coarse scrubbers or abuse by inappropriate utensils. Heck, I never even used those "scrubby" sponges on them until I called and found out they were okay.

And our dishwasher leaked from day one when we got it, so they never went into that machine. (this is a whole 'nother story, man-style)

I did none of the above. The frying pans looked like I cut stuff up in them, but I never did. I did that once in my Mom's new Teflon pan in the 70's, and have never lived it down since. Crap, she still as the pan to lay the guilt trip on me. ;(

I believe it was all the Italian sausage spices, the Polish kielbasa spices, and the Japanese sauces that I've used over the lifetime in my pans. I never used them in the ovens, never cleaned them in a dishwasher, never used anything but Calphalon utensils, or used harsh cleaners on them.

What, pray tell, happened to your pan that caused it to bow?

I truly think that Calphalon is trying to make a better pan with all the reports from their customers.

Barbara