Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread
  Re: (...)
Oh my, this is the most delicious cornbread I've ever tasted!! (JUST STAY AWAY FROM THIS POST, ALL YOU NO-SUGAR-CORNBREAD-FOLKS!!)

And it is so pretty - I took a picture of it, but my photo program isn't working,darn. You turn it out and this gorgeous fried sage is on top!! One word of warning...there is a whole stick of butter in this - but one of the reviewers used only 1/2 a stick and 2% milk (as I did) and said it was still wonderful! I'll try the 1/2 stick next time.

Sage and Honey Skillet Cornbread
Bon Appétit | November 2007 - Greg Atkinson

This bread is turned out of the skillet to reveal a lovely array of whole sage leaves. Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

1 cup cornmeal (preferably whole grain, medium grind)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage plus 12 whole fresh sage leaves
--------
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
-------
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat heavy 10-inch-diameter ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) in oven 10 minutes.

Whisk first 4 ingredients and 2 teaspoons chopped sage in large bowl to blend. Whisk milk, honey, and egg in medium bowl to blend.

Remove skillet from oven; add 1/2 cup butter. Swirl until butter is melted. Pour all except 2 tablespoons butter into egg mixture. Add whole sage leaves to butter in skillet; toss to coat. Arrange leaves over bottom of skillet, spacing apart.

Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir until just combined (do not overmix; batter will be wet and runny). Pour batter over sage leaves in skillet. Bake until browned around edges and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Cool in skillet 10 minutes. Invert onto platter. If necessary, reposition sage leaves atop cornbread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by cjs (Oh my, this is the m...)
Yippee - got it to work again... here's the cornbread.

[Image: SageCornbread.jpg]

Had it with ham and bean soup.

Here's the cheeseburger soup we had the other night.

[Image: cheeseburgersoup.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by cjs (Yippee - got it to w...)
Always love your pictures, Jean. Thanx.
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by HomeCulinarian (Always love your pic...)
Beautiful - both dishes!
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by Trixxee (Beautiful - both di...)

oh this looks good - got to try them both !

Love CornBread - I have put Rosemary in it but not the Sage

Thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by mjkcooking ([br]oh this looks go...)
Was that "no sugar" comment aimed at me Ms. Jean? Bless your heart! I sometimes add a sweetener for special recipes, just not my regular cornbread.

Y'all can also add jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed and then minced. It's wonderful. Garlic works well too
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by bjcotton (Was that "no sugar" ...)
Everything tastes good added to cornbread - this is the first time using sage and this method. It's so pretty! and good.

yes, as a matter of fact your little face did come into my mind as I typed that....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by cjs (Everything tastes go...)
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by cjs (Everything tastes go...)
" yes, as a matter of fact your little face did come into my mind as I typed that "

The minute I saw the "no sugar" comment, I knew exactly who you were talking about.

The pictures are great. I'll have to plant a sage plant when I get there. He loves cornbread! I have a bit of trouble making it, so he sent me 8 boxes of Jiffy.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sage & Honey Skillet Cornbread by Lorraine (" yes, as a matter o...)
Jean, that looks WONDERFUL! I can't wait to try it. We love sage. I think some butternut squash soup is in my future...with this cornbread of course. William LOVES cornbread!

Quote:

He loves cornbread! I have a bit of trouble making it, so he sent me 8 boxes of Jiffy.

Lorraine, that is too funny. I used to use Jiffy all the time...it's good stuff.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.