Black Forest Cake recipe?
  Re: (...)
Hi,
I've been reading the forum for a long time but had never posted. My husband adores Black Forest Cake, and I have heard that the one from the Dec. 2005 issue is just the best ever. I would really like to make it. Does anyone have the recipe handy? Could you please share it with me? I've tried searching for it, but no luck so far.
Many thanks!
  Re: Black Forest Cake recipe? by chucha (Hi,[br]I've been rea...)
Hope this is what you're looking for:

Black Forest Cake
(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 48)

Makes: One 8 inch Layer Cake Total Time: About 11/2 Hours + Cooling Rating: Intermediate

For the Dark Chocolate Cake—
Whisk Together:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. table salt

Combine:
1 1/3 cups hot water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 t. distilled white vinegar
2 t. instant coffee granules
2 t. vanilla extract

For the Cherry Compote—
Simmer; Stir in:
1/2 cup cherry juice
1/3 cup dried tart cherries
1/4 cup cherry preserves
1 T. sugar
1 t. balsamic vinegar
Pinch of salt
1/2 lb. frozen dark cherries, partially thawed and halved

Combine; Whisk in:
1 T. water
2 t. cornstarch
1/4 t. almond extract

For the Whipped Cream—
Combine; Cook and Cool:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 T. cornstarch

Whip; Add:
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
Cooled cornstarch mixture

Assemble Cake with:
1/4 cup dark rum or brandy
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, grated (about 2 oz.)
Milk chocolate curls

Preheat oven to 350°; coat two 8" cake pans with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt together for the cake in a large bowl.

Combine water, oil, vinegar, coffee, and vanilla and add to dry ingredients, whisking just to blend. Divide batter between prepared pans (about 21/4 cups in each) and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake layers in the pans on a rack for 15 minutes; unmold, peel off the parchment, and cool completely before splitting.

Simmer cherry juice, dried cherries, preserves, sugar, vinegar, and salt in a saucepan for 10–15 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in dark cherries and cook for 2 minutes.

Combine water and cornstarch, then whisk it into the cherry mixture; simmer 1 minute and remove from heat. Cool before whisking in the almond extract.

Combine 3/4 cup cream, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 1 T. cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until pudding-like, then transfer to a bowl to cool completely. Stir often to prevent a “skin” from forming.

Whip 11/2 cups cream, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla just until it begins to thicken. With the mixer running, add the cooled cornstarch mixture; continue to beat to soft peaks. Chill until ready to assemble the cake.

Assemble cake as shown below.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/12):
499 calories 51% calories from fat 29g total fat 57g carb. 219mg sodium 2g fiber 3g protein

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Black Forest Cake recipe? by chucha (Hi,[br]I've been rea...)
Hi chucha,
I ordered the black forest cake in my nephew's birthday.It's delicious.The cake was from my friend's cake shop so i can try to get recipe for the balck forest cake for you.

------------------------------------------------------
Christmas recipes
" When a person can find sorrow behind your smile, words behind your silence and love behind your anger, you can believe that you have found your Best Buddy."
  Re: Re: Black Forest Cake recipe? by farnfam (Hope this is what yo...)
wow, you guys are incredible! thank you so much. so quick!
  Re: Re: Black Forest Cake recipe? by chucha (wow, you guys are in...)
That sounds so good!
  Re: Re: Black Forest Cake recipe? by HomeCulinarian (That sounds so good!...)
Welcome chucha and johnpoll! It's nice to have you join us. Lots of recipes, advice and just plain fun here.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy