Merengue/Frothy Egg Whites - Room Temp or Cold?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

This was probably addressed in a Q&A section of C@H, but I have too many volumes to go over to remember.

When a recipe calls for a merengue or a frothy set of egg whites, do you bring them to room temp or separate them and keep them cold adn then whip them up?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Merengue/Frothy Egg Whites - Room Temp or Cold? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]This...)
They are easier to separate at room temp but whip more quickly when cold. I used to go through all that but I don't bother anymore-my KitchenAid does such a good job I just separate and whip. If I were using a hand mixer, I might think twice.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Merengue/Frothy Egg Whites - Room Temp or Cold? by pjcooks (They are easier to s...)
My experience and my mom's is that a meringue does better at room temp. They will whip either way, but if you bake them on a custard pie, they weep when baked if not at room temp. I have also had problems with having that yucky liquid between the custard and the meringue after baking if they were cold. They also don't seem to be as high if cold. We've made LOTS of chocolate pies in three generations.

But I will gladly bow to PJ. She is the baker. The only difference is addressing a meringue used on a custard pie after baking. Since I don't know how you are using them, I'm not sure my advice is useful. Also, I have not tested my theory since I started using my KA. My info is based on a standard mixer. My 2 cents.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Merengue/Frothy Egg Whites - Room Temp or Cold? by pjcooks (They are easier to s...)
Oh my, I have always thought that I was supposed to separate while cold, whip the whites when they warmed up a bit! Oh well, now I know!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Merengue/Frothy Egg Whites - Room Temp or Cold? by foodfiend (Oh my, I have always...)
I separate them when I take them out of the fridge, but wait 20 minutes or so before whipping them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.