apple strudel
  Re: (...)
I am in need of a good home made apple strudel recipe. My hubby's grandmother used to make a "to die for" and the family cannot find it anywhere. No berries, no nuts and no raisins. I found a few but none seem to compare to his Granny's Strudel. I would love to be able to make it for him as a surprise for Christmas.
  Re: apple strudel by asofte (I am in need of a go...)
Someone, here, will probably have a recipe, but if you want the real thing, be prepared for a lot of work. The REAL Apfel Strudel involves making a puff-pastry dough that gets rolled out, paper thing, over the entire kitchen table. When we lived in NJ, we had elderly, old-world, Austrian neighbours, and they made the same kind of thing you describe - just incredible. She had a four- or five-foot, round kitchen table, and she would roll out the dough, repeatedly, to cover the whole thing. Unfortunately, we never did get her recipe, but I've never had another like it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: apple strudel by asofte (I am in need of a go...)
[Image: 250px-Omas_Apfelstrudel_aus_Prag.jpg]
Does Grandma's strudel look like this?
  Re: Re: apple strudel by labradors (Someone, here, will ...)
Quote:

Someone, here, will probably have a recipe, but if you want the real thing, be prepared for a lot of work.  The REAL Apfel Strudel involves making a puff-pastry dough that gets rolled out, paper thing, over the entire kitchen table.  When we lived in NJ, we had elderly, old-world, Austrian neighbours, and they made the same kind of thing you describe - just incredible.  She had a four- or five-foot, round kitchen table, and she would roll out the dough, repeatedly, to cover the whole thing.  Unfortunately, we never did get her recipe, but I've never had another like it.

I love Labs, but, buy your puff pastry!! It's really ok--now, for what it's worth, I don't bake!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: apple strudel by HomeCulinarian ( [img]http://upload....)
Externally, perhaps, but Anne's request did say "No berries, no nuts and no raisins," and I can see raisins in that picture. Of course, they could just be omitted.
  Re: Re: apple strudel by labradors (Externally, perhaps,...)
In one of my old cookbooks I found a recipe... the preface says... Strudel is a challenge; patience and practice are necessary to perfect spreading and rolling the elastic dough properly, but the melting flakes of good strudel pastry are ample reward for the extra effort. I've never made this, but could copy the page and send it to you. Let me know!
  Re: Re: apple strudel by HomeCulinarian (In one of my old coo...)
That surely describes it well. I'm certainly interested. When we had those neighbours, it was still a time when we could safely leave the back door open when we went into the back yard to swim in the pool. Once, while we were out swimming, and it was my dad's birthday, when we went back into the house, we found a nice, big birthday strudel waiting on the counter. Nothing can beat those memories.
  Re: Re: apple strudel by labradors (That surely describe...)
Quote:

That surely describes it well. I'm certainly interested. When we had those neighbours, it was still a time when we could safely leave the back door open when we went into the back yard to swim in the pool. Once, while we were out swimming, and it was my dad's birthday, when we went back into the house, we found a nice, big birthday strudel waiting on the counter. Nothing can beat those memories.

We had an attic fan when I was a kid. All the windows in the houise had to be open,with screens,---is that an innocent time? Anybody else have an attic fan?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: apple strudel by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hey I'm in need of apple streudel too!! Can someone make one and send it to me?
  Re: Re: apple strudel by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
My mom still runs a fan in her attic!!! And those days aren't all gone, Bill. Truthfully, I couldn't lay a hand on keys to my house right now if you paid me. The only time we lock it is when we leave on vacation, and that only works because the neighbors have actually kept a key.

And not to be nit-picky, but it isn't "puff pastry" is it? Isn't strudel made with phyllo dough?