Cookies for our Troops
  Re: (...)
I am planning on going to Portland where my sister and I will begin making fudges, cookies, fruit bars, etc., to box up and send to our troops overseas. The Post Office has a special rate flat box that you can pack to the gills and it doesn't matter how much it weighs.

If you have any suggestions (with recipes) I would appreciate them. To withstand the shipping they need to be a sturdy type of cookie or whatever. We will package them in ziplock bags in between layers of popcorn. Thanks for in advance for any suggestions, hints, or just any comment you want to make. I am planning on putting in letters from my neighbors or whomever wants to write one. If you would like to write one you can post it as a PM to me or just post it in this thread, it's up to you. I don't know who will be on the receiving end of the box, whether it will be a man or woman or a group. My nephew when he was overseas said when we sent him a box he just called his buddies around and they dove in.

So, anything you have to share will be appreciated. I'll also include the little candy bars like you get for halloween.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Cookies for our Troops by bjcotton (I am planning on goi...)
Billy, do you have any specifications? I did a mass mailing with my students during the Gulf War (Conflict). The kids LOVED it...I have had kids talk to me now about the experience as adults. It made a real impact and the writing I got from them was phenomenal! From that experience, we were told no butter products...they would get rancid. I'm surprised about the fudge. We were also told not to send stuff that would melt. Are these still stipulations? Details...I would love to participate! Some of those same kids are over there now. Even if it's just me, I HAVE to send something!

Funny, I remember popping all the popcorn to box the stuff. The kids thought it was "gross" eating plain popcorn, but I knew the guys appreciated the stuff! Two things I remember sending were Oreo cookies and Fig Newtons...LOL! We decided homemade was too complicated. There were also toothbrushes, brushes, lots of gum (the guys said they liked passing it out to the kids over there...this really impressed my students), and other personal items. I forget...CRS! I packed stuff that would not "flavor" other stuff separately. It makes me sad some of those same kids may be over there and not getting a package.

Please let me know what I can do!
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by Gourmet_Mom (Billy, do you have a...)
You have a specific person you are sending this to, Billy? Back here the information was that the boxes/letters/whatever had to be addressed to a specific person or it would not be delivered due to security reasons.

On the "other" forum we sent packages to one of the participants that was serving and cooking for the troops. His requests were for spices that they couldn't get over there. I remember filling one of those boxes with everything from chili powder, herbs, lemon pepper, garlic salt, you name it.
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by iBcookin (You have a specific ...)
Great idea, Billy - I'm sending you a p.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by iBcookin (You have a specific ...)
Quote:

Back here the information was that the boxes/letters/whatever had to be addressed to a specific person or it would not be delivered due to security reasons.

Quite right. For the same reason, don't believe (and do NOT forward) any emails you may receive saying that Walter Reed Army Medical Center is accepting Christmas cards addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier." It just isn't true:

Here's more info from the Post Office's website. I haven't included a link, since the way that site has you navigate to things, such a link would not work in this context.
Quote:

Sending donated items to the military or 'Any Service Member'

The Department of Defense (DOD) has become aware of organizations and individuals who solicit donations for care packages and use unit numbers and/or a list of service member names to send the packages to deployed forces. These programs are usually supported by well-intentioned and patriotic people who are simply unaware of the new risks facing deployed military forces. Some individuals and groups have even publicized the names of service members, ships or units on websites, without realizing that personal information may be used inappropriately. Visit the Defend America Home Page and go to Support our Troops to find DOD recommended ways to show your support.

Programs that allowed people to send mail to service members unknown to them were discontinued following the terrorist attacks of 2001. This includes the "Any Service Member" mail program for overseas military personnel. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

* If it has a valid return address it will be returned to sender.
* Items without return addresses are opened in our Mail Recovery Center Network to determine the sender's address.
* If it is impossible to determine the sender's address, items are sent to local charities.

Operation Shoebox is a privately run program that accepts donations and supplies for our troops engaged in Operation Iraqi Freedom. As with all unsolicited donation or mailing programs, the DOD does not endorse or support this initiative, and urges helpful Americans to visit the Defend America Home Page for a list of officially approved methods that they participate in to best support our troops.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ok, so before I spend the time typing out a recipe for granola bars that sound fabulous, can Billy send them or not?????
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by Lorraine (Ok, so before I spen...)
Quote:

Ok, so before I spend the time typing out a recipe for granola bars that sound fabulous, can Billy send them or not?????

He hasn't said exactly HOW he's sending them, yet. If he's sending them to a specific individual, by name, or sending them to some other program that may already be sending things, then he may. If not, he may not, since generic "to our troops" mail is no longer accepted by the Post Office.

BTW, I'd like to see the granola-bar recipe, anyway, especially if it's more like traditional granola instead of the candy bars that so many companies are peddling as "granola" bars nowadays.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The company that my sister, Marilee, works for sent over 50 boxes last year. She will be looking up the information they used sometime today and forwarding it to me.

I will also visit the Defend America site and see what they say. If they say send them $ I won't do that since most of the "charities" use up most of it administratively and usually less than 30% gets where you want it to go.

I just visited that site. It seems to have everything covered except what I want to do...mostly selling things.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by bjcotton (The company that my ...)
Billy, isn't your nephew still over there or is he home now?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookies for our Troops by cjs (Billy, isn't your ne...)
He's home now and going for a commissioning program; still stationed in Colorado Springs. Marilee will be checking with him today also.

Billy