This sounds pretty dang good...
  Re: (...)
Found this one over at www.theworldwidegourmet.com and figured I'd share it...

Salmon Puffs with Real Beurre Blanc Recipe

Flavors of Quebec

Preheat oven to 225°C. (450°F.)

Chef's Note
This is a versatile recipe that can be made with many types of fish. I suggest salmon here because it is widely available and reasonably priced. You can also use trout, Arctic char, snapper, turbot, sole, or grouper. You'll be surprised at how elegant and easy to make this recipe is.

Ingredients for 4 servings
- 650 g (1 lb. 5 oz.) skinned boneless Salmon fillet
- 1 medium leek
- 1 knob of butter
- 8 basil leaves (or substitute tarragon, oregano or sage)
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry (or brick pastry)
- 4 pieces of string to tie the puffs
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) chopped French shallot
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) dry white wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) 35% cream
- 90 ml (6 tbsp.) white wine vinegar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Butter at room temperature

Method
1.Cut leek into four pieces. Wash thoroughly and thinly slice. In a pan, sauté leek in butter 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
2.In another pan, combine French shallots, white wine, and white wine vinegar. Heat just until white wine has completely evaporated. Add cream, then a few drops of water (to help blend in warm shallot butter), and warm shallot butter.
3.Cut salmon fillet into small slices and divide into four equal portions. Place one portion in the middle of a phyllo pastry sheet. Place two basil leaves on top of salmon. Add salt and pepper. Close pastry and tie with a piece of string. Repeat with the remaining three portions.
4.Place puffs in a dripping pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden.
5.Place a little leek mixture in the middle of each plate. Lay a salmon puff on top and add beurre blanc all around it.

The beurre blanc may be flavored in various ways by adding at the end:

* Tomato coulis
* Pepper coulis
* Whole grain mustard
* Lemon or orange zest
* Ginger confit or even marinated ginger

Sommelier
A well-chilled white wine, such as Chardonnay Reserve Inniskillin Niagara Ontario 2002
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by firechef (Found this one over ...)
I'm DROOOLING!!!!!! OMG, this is on for REAL soon! I've never seen phyllo "tied off". Thanks reciprocated, son! "Paid in full"...well, almost. I'll let you know for sure as soon as I make it....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by Gourmet_Mom (I'm DROOOLING!!!!!! ...)
Salmon!? What a senseless waste of perfectly good leeks, shallots, wine, and pastry!

Seriously, as much as I can't stand salmon, the recipe, itself sounds fantastic, and I'll probably try this with róbalo instead of salmon.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by labradors (Salmon!? What a sen...)
Here I was feeling all glowing with all my accumulated knowledge...trust me when I say, there would be soooo many questions about this recipe, IF I even considered making just a few years ago. But I've gotta ask...what the heck is a dripping pan? The only thing I can think of is an old fashioned broiler pan or my most recent adaptation...cooling racks over a foil lined sheet pan. But neither makes sense with the delicate pastry...does it?

BTW, Labs...this does sound like it would work with a lot of fish. You are so funny and predictable with your dislike of salmon. You and Holly....what is wrong with your taste buds?
Daphne
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by Gourmet_Mom (Here I was feeling a...)
Psst...Hey Mom...for starters 35% cream is standard whipping cream you buy in the dairy section by the pint or quart...

Yup, a dripping pan is what you are thinking of...or a pan with racks placed in it to allow any juices to drip UNDER the pastry to reduce the chance of having that delicate pastry becoming soggy or sticking to the pan.

Anything else you find odd that makes sense once we think about it???

As far as salmon goes I would think any "hearty" fish would work.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by firechef (Psst...Hey Mom...for...)
Uh hum....Mr. Smarty Pants....I got the cream....well, I would have when I'd have noticed the 35% part....LOL! The French shallots and white wine vinegar would have caused questions a few years ago, but now I'm better at substitutions/recognizing my ingredients in the store....Thank you very much.

Well, actually, thank you ALL of the chefs and smart cooks that have put up with my constant questions and helped me along the way! >>>>>>APPLAUSE<<<<<<<
Daphne
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by Gourmet_Mom (Uh hum....Mr. Smarty...)
"Well, actually, thank you ALL of the chefs and smart cooks that have put up with my constant questions and helped me along the way! >>>>>>APPLAUSE<<<<<<< "

what Daphne said! And also for your patience and guidance for all the questions that are to come as well. I am always amazed at how much I learn here every single day. About cooking as well as compassion.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by chef_Tab ("Well, actually, tha...)
hmmm, I don't see the need to tie the bundle - a little 'butter' glue and it would not be needed at all. Especially with string - if it was a chive, I could see doing it for looks/garnish, but... hmmmm

Okay, rereading the method, the recipe is to make little 'purses' is that it? duh! LJ, did you see a pix?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by cjs (hmmm, I don't see th...)
Yes the pic was "purses" with the sauce under it...and a light drizzle over the top.
  Re: Re: This sounds pretty dang good... by firechef (Yes the pic was "pur...)
Here you go

[Image: 1262.jpg]