Anyone here have a tested recipe for apple butter?
  Re: (...)
As mentioned in another thread, apples (imported from the States) ARE available here, but apple cider is not, and I'll be experimenting with one recipe I found to see if I can make some decent cider.

In yet another thread, new user rottiefan asked for the C@H recipe for Apple-Butter-Basted Turkey Breast. At first, I thought it was going to be a recipe using apple butter, but once I found the recipe, I discovered it's really "apple AND butter" (specifically, a mixture of butter and apple jelly), rather than "apple butter."

Even so, that got me thinking about apple butter - something I haven't seen in at least four years. That would be a wonderful treat to make, and I'm wondering if any of you have ever made it.

DO any of you had a tested, "tried and true" recipe for making apple butter?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Anyone here have a tested recipe for apple butter? by labradors (As mentioned in anot...)
Hey Labs, well out our way we have apple butter season It's in Oak Glen and Derek and I go every year just to get their apple butter. It's really neat cause some have competitions and they're all outside with their big kettles cooking this stuff up.

So here is a recipe direct one from Oak Glen. And it's YUMMY

Serves/Makes:ALOT

Ingredients
10 lbs (4.5 kg) Los Rios Rancho apples (or grannysmith)
8 qts. Los Rios Rancho apple cider (or equivalent)
3 lbs (1.4 kg). sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml). ground allspice
2 tbsp (30 ml). ground cloves
3 tbsp (45 ml). ground cinnamon

Preparation

Wash, pare and core apples.
Boil cider and apples down to half the original amount.
Add sugar and spices and cook until the consistency of fruit butter, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
Put into sterilized jars and seal.
  Re: Re: Anyone here have a tested recipe for apple butter? by DFen911 (Hey Labs, well out o...)
Thanks! Of course, I'll have to make the aforementioned cider first, before I'll be able to make the apple butter.
  Re: Re: Anyone here have a tested recipe for apple but by labradors (Thanks! Of course, ...)
Well you could use apple juice but you might need to reduce the sugar a bit.
  Re: Re: Anyone here have a tested recipe for apple but by DFen911 (Well you could use a...)
Quote:

Well you could use apple juice but you might need to reduce the sugar a bit.

Yeah. Then again, another recipe I've seen uses apple cider vinegar, and probably balances that out with more sugar. LOL!

We'll see. Either way, I plan to make the cider first.
  Re: Re: Anyone here have a tested recipe for apple but by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Remember eating apple butter on toast in the mornings as kids?? I loved it. That and pear butter. Oh my! Another of those food and love memories, Denise!

I don’t have a recipe anymore, just kind of a dump recipe – apples, honey or sugar, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Enough cider added to thickness wanted. I also like to use all different types of apples for more flavor. Some recipe recommend straining the apple butter, but I prefer it not.

Long time ago, I made this and we liked it - if you end up with lots of apple butter.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Butter Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pint apple butter (1 1/2 cups) -- divided
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 stick margarine (1/4 cup) -- melted
1 egg -- beaten
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup apple butter, apple juice, margarine and egg. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Spread remaining 3/4 cup apple butter over batter. Gently pour remaining batter over apple butter. Bake at 350º degrees for 65 to 75 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan and continue cooling on rack.

Source:
"Virginia Apple Growers Association"
Yield:
"1 Loaf"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com