Braised Short Ribs Recipe?
  Re: (...)
I've got one of Jean's and one in C@H issue 53, but thought I'd see if any of you have a favorite way to do these. I'm thinking of making some up for Sunday, but would like to have them for dinner. I read in a post that they're better the next day, so I guess I'll make them up today and figure something else out for tonight.

Jean, the one I have from you is the Short Ribs Provencale With Creme Fraiche Mashed Potatoes from Bon Appétit, January 2002.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I've got one of Jean...)
I would delete this, but then everybody would want to know what it was...LOL! I should have searched harder before posting this, but feel free to add if you have one different from these two threads:

Braised Beef Short Ribs- lost recipe

Sunday Dinner.../OOOH I Love Beef Short Ribs
Daphne
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I would delete this,...)
Always braised is so much better the second day.

yes, we would be having a fit to know what you deleted!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by cjs (Always braised is so...)
The problem is finding a substitute for dinner...GEEZ! Especially since the oven will be occupied!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (The problem is findi...)
crockpot...but it's what 1:30 p.m. at your house - too late.

How 'bout BBLT pizza....see the post, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by cjs (crockpot...but it's ...)
BBLT pizza? I'm guessing this is from a previous thread....seems like I remember Bill posting something...I'll go look...but, but...the oven will be in use. The grill is offline for repairs (leaking hose). I guess no longer than the pizza will take, I could take the ribs out long enough to cook the pizzas...pizza IS a good idea. If I don't hurry up, it's gonna be sammies!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (BBLT pizza? I'm gue...)
I was going to post my recipe, but it's included in the thread. Thanks for the link.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (BBLT pizza? I'm gue...)
Jalapeno/Beer Baked Short Ribs

We did this for a local election party several years ago--went over well!!

8 lbs beef short ribs, cut into 3 inch pieces
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 C canned tomato sauce
4 large jalapeno chilis, finely chopped (abt 1/4 C)
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/4 C firmly packed golden brown sugar
2 T chopped green bell peppers
1 T dry mustard
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t cinnamon
2 C beer
Minced fresh cilantro, or parsley

Preheat oven to 425. Arrange ribs in a single layer in two large baking pans. Sprinkle onions around ribs.

Combine all remaining ingredients except beer and cilantro in a large saucepan.Simmer over med heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionaly , abt 10 min. Cool slightly. Stir in beer. Pour mixture over ribs. Cover pans with foil and bake until meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 hrs.

Remove ribs from pan and keep warm. Combine all pan juices in a heavy med saucepan.Skim fat. Boil over med heat until liquid is reduced to 2C. Spoon sauce over ribs. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by Old Bay (Jalapeno/Beer Baked ...)
How about the ones in issue 72??? The Moroccan-style braised short ribs...they sound wonderful!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Braised Short Ribs Recipe? by firechef (How about the ones i...)
BECAUSE.....I STILL don't have the dang thing yet! I've emailed the new Customer Service. I hope to hear soon. I had thought maybe I was mistaken about my subscription and it was out, but the new service shows me active until the first of the year.

Thanks for the recipe, LJ. I've already purchased the ingredients for Lorraine's and the stuff for the "mushroom gravy" in the one Billy posted for the lost recipe.

You know, those little sucker are expensive! I picked up the only 5 packs bone in and one boneless...should have probably done half and half. They were about $4 bucks bone in and not quite $5 boneless. The problem was, the boneless were not nearly as marbled as the bone in. That was the deal breaker.

Interesting side note: After looking over the beef, I ran into a lady while looking at the turkeys. She was being very particular about her selection, so I asked her why she chose the brand she chose. She said she WOULD not save 50 cent a pound for "chemicals" injected into her meat!

Obviously, we instantly struck up a conversation. She told me about a little meat market close by that sells REAL local chickens, beef and pork. She says the chicken tastes like real chickens! She let me know the beef was not as tender as grocery store beef, but at least she knew it was raised locally. As for the pork, she said it was WONDERFUL! I'm so excited. The BEST part, she said their prices are MUCH lower than grocery store "stuff"!
Daphne