Thanksgiving Starter SOS
  Re: (...)
Thanksgiving has grown considerably this year. I am now up to 28 ppl. I am looking for a great first course, that won’t take up any more oven space. My stuffed artichokes are out the window at this volume. I am thinking some kind of soup or pasta, but haven't found a recipe that will appeal to a mostly Portuguese crowd...oh and no cream of kale allowed. Tough Crowd!

Thanks,
AJ
  Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by LuvFud (Thanksgiving has gro...)
Some of the people here have some great Linguiça recipes. Maybe that could be worked in there, somewhere. Then again, that may be interesting as something to put into the stuffing!

No cream, of kale, but how about creamed pearl onions?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by labradors (Some of the people h...)
Since we all have so much food at Thanksgiving dinner, I'm doing a 'spoon' starter.

Not sure what I'm putting in the spoon, but that will get everyone to the table and on to the buffet table.

---

Well piddle, just saw an 'anon' looking at this one - maybe my amuse-bouche will be this...

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread

1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce) softened
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Makes 1-1/2 cups (24, 1-tablespoon servings).

------
We had this last night on small squares of nut bread - it's just delightful!!

---
but, like Lorraine, I have a few more days to change my mind over and over and over...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by cjs (Since we all have so...)
Quote:

Since we all have so much food at Thanksgiving dinner, I'm doing a 'spoon' starter.

Not sure what I'm putting in the spoon, but that will get everyone to the table and on to the buffet table.

Just curious from the way you described it: does this mean a "single, pre-filled spoon with no refills" starter? Sounds like an interesting idea.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by LuvFud (Thanksgiving has gro...)
Why dont you do a minestrone--it has beans, pasta, and vegis. A little basil pesto would dress it up.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That sounds great, might try that for dessert.

I would love to try pumpkin ricotta gnocchi with a sage brown butter sauce. (I think ricotta gnocchi is so much lighter than potato) but can't seem to find a recipe for ricotta anywhere just potato. Does anyone have a recipe for that?

AJ
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by LuvFud (That sounds great, m...)
I do - I don't know if I have it with me on MasterCook but will look.

Minestrone sounds good...

"does this mean a "single, pre-filled spoon with no refills" starter?" - yes, it's really a fun way to start things out - and a conversation starter also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by cjs (I do - I don't know ...)
Thank you so much that would be great.

I actually have some homemade linguica in the fridge and was thinking of making a white bean soup and adding it, but the second I said bean the kids said Eeww! I personally could live off of soup alone, but the family does not share my sentiment.

AJ
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by LuvFud (Thank you so much th...)
here's a couple for you to play with - this first one is so decadent and so good!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Swan Creek Ricotta Gnocchi

1 lb. Whole-milk Ricotta Cheese
Kosher salt & freshly ground white pepper
1 Pinch ground nutmeg
1 T. Truffle Flour*
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour

Drain ricotta cheese overnite (at least 6 hours). Transfer the drained ricotta to a large bowl. Season with salt and white pepper to taste, nutmeg, and truffle flour; add the egg, and stir to mix.

Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour, 1/3 cup at a time. When all the flour is incorporated, form the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate for about 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. It also freezes very well for up to 1 month.

Turn out the chilled dough onto a lightly floured work surface and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Divide the dough into 6 pcs. & roll into 1" thick logs. Cut the logs into teaspoon-size chunks. Roll the chunks into balls and press one side of the balls onto the backside of a fork to form the gnocchi.

Lay the gnocchi on lightly floured b. sheets in single layers. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or clean dish towels and refrigerate until ready to cook. The gnocchi will keep for about 24 hours before cooking.

In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the gnocchi for 3-4 minutes or till they bb to the surface. Scoop them from the water with a slotted spoon or spider (do not drain thru a colander or they will break.)

*Note: for truffle flour, mix the 1 T. flour with truffle salt (about 3/4 tsp) the day before and let the flavors find each other.

Rick Tramonto, from Tru

----

and then for us peasants -

Ricotta Cheese Gnocchi
20 Potatoes
15 egg yolks
3cups AP Flour
1cup Semolina
2cups Ricotta Cheese
Chopped Parsley

Salt/Pepper to taste.

Method:
Bake potatoes whole on rock salt until cooked through and peel while they are still hot (I cut in half and scoop with a spoon into a stainless bowl). Add all the other items, season and put some flour on your wooden board. Take small (palm size) amounts and roll (add flour to your board as needed) into pencil size and then cut on the bias with a pairing knife. Drop in heavily salted water (slow boil) until cooked (they will float to the top), and then shock them on ice water. These can be made ahead of time and then pan heated with a little oil. These go absolutely fantastic with braised short ribs and lots of sauce. The Gnocchi soak in all the goodness of the sauce and then (drooling again) you get some more

The key is making them in small batches so you get a good rhythm established. I found by the time I dropped in the first batch in the boiling water, I had just enough time to roll another out and cut them.... Take them out of the boiling water and then drop the new batch in .. repeat. Add additional ice as needed to keep them shocked!

Note:
We cut it in 1/2 and it was plenty for 12 with enough leftovers for another meal for 6. I will say there was absolutely none left or tossed
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Starter SOS by cjs (Since we all have so...)
This is a great recipe! I served this recently with some cranberry nut bread and it was a huge hit!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]