Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving)
  Re: (...)
This from Dean Fearing--very southwestern--we had it last year and will again for the forseeable future--delicious!!
Vegi Oil for frying
Fourteen 6-inch corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1/4 inch strips
6 cups crumbled skillet cornbread or your own.
2 T ev olive oil, plus more for the baking dish.
1 large onion, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large jalepeno (seeded or not), minced
1 T minced cilantro
2 t finely chopped fresh sage
2 t chopped fresh thyme
2 t chili powder
1 Qt Tortilla Broth (recipe follows)
Kosher salt

1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350. Working in batches, fry the tortilla strips, stirring until crisp and golden--3 min or so. Using a slotted spoon, trans to paper towels and drain. Put strips in a bowl and add crumbled cornbread.
2. In a large deep skillet, heat the 2 T olive oil. Add onion and celery -cook over mod heat stirring, abt 6 min, until softened. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragrent, about 1 min. Stir in cilantro, sage, thyme and chili powde and cook until chili is fragrent, about 1 min.
3. Add tortilla broth to skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Pour the mixture over the tortilla strips and cornbread, season with salt and toss to coat. Let stand until broth is absorbed, about 30 min.
4 Preheat oven to 350.Oil a 9x13 baking dish. Transfer the dressing to the dish and cover with foil.Bake 20 min until heated thru. Uncover and bake until top is brown--appx 15 min. Serve . (Can be referigerated unbaked up to 2 days-bring to room temp before baking)

Tortilla Broth
3 T veg oil
two 6 inch corn tortillas, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 med onion, minced
1 C canned tomato puree
5 C chicken stock
1 T chili powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 T ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper, or more to taste
salt to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add chopped tortillas and garlic and cook over mod high heat, stirring, until tortillas are crisp and garlic browned, about 3 min.
2. Add minced onion to the saucepan along with the tomato puree and bring to a boil. Add the stock, chili powder, bay leaf, and cumin and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced to one Qt, about 30 min. Discard the bay leaf.
3. Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender. Addcayenne and salt to taste. ( The broth can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen at least a month)
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) by Old Bay (This from Dean Feari...)
Well! Since I'm not a fan of cornbread stuffings/dressings, I'll probably never make this, but the tortilla broth really sounds like a great soup base....will have to play with that part of it. Some black beans, sausage, poblanos, ..... Thanks for posting this Bill.

---

Shoot, just reread the whole recipe and about all I'd have to do is omit the cornbread and go with it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) by cjs (Well! Since I'm not ...)
Quote:

Well! Since I'm not a fan of cornbread stuffings/dressings, I'll probably never make this, but the tortilla broth really sounds like a great soup base....will have to play with that part of it. Some black beans, sausage, poblanos, ..... Thanks for posting this Bill.

---

Shoot, just reread the whole recipe and about all I'd have to do is omit the cornbread and go with it!

Grill a chicken breast, shread or chop it, make a guacamole, fry some tortilla strips, top the soup with them--add a little cumin and chili powder to the broth--Tortilla Soup!!!--Great Thanksgiving start!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".