Chicken Spedini Recipe?
  Re: (...)
We ate lunch out today and I had chicken spedini. It was the absolute best chicken spedini I have ever tasted. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by chef_Tab (We ate lunch out tod...)
Theresa,

I am curious. I had never heard of Chicken spedini, so googled it. The first two recipes I got were from people in Kansas or St. Louis MO. But one is lemon and one had a tomato sauce. What type is yours and isn't this strange that the 1st two I found were from the midwest?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by esgunn (Theresa, [br][br]I ...)
Ok - Third one from MO too.

OK - so it is a stuffed, rolled chicken breast on skewers - breaded or maybe not - one with lemon sauce to top one with tomato. Hmmm.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by esgunn (Ok - Third one from ...)
The spedini I have had, always has a lot of garlic and lemon. The dish I had yesterday also had some fresh tomato chopped on top. Erin, I had never heard of it before moving here either, but it seems to be an Italian dish as it is only served in Italian restaurants. How funny the recipes you found are local to me. I wonder if the restaurant would share their recipe. We were there for a special function and it is not on their regular menu.
Theresa

Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by chef_Tab (The spedini I have h...)
Never heard of Spedini. Just googled some photos and looks like there is some variety based on family traditions... [Image: ChickenSpedini_lg_Thumb.jpg] [Image: spedini.jpg] [Image: spedini-main_Thumb.jpg]
  Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by HomeCulinarian (Never heard of Spedi...)
From what I could find, it appears to be from spiedini, which means "skewer" or "kebab" (the lack of the I before the E in "spedini" could be that one or the other of those two forms is a Sicilian spelling variation, or the like).

Here's an interesting link.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by labradors (From what I could fi...)
Rob, the pictures are fabulous. If only there was a recipe, the end result looked fairly close. Do you think that was butter she shmeared on the meat? I have to get to work, but when I get home, I will search more with this new spelling. Thanks for your help!
Theresa

Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by chef_Tab (Rob, the pictures ar...)
Quote:

If only there was a recipe,

There is. In the comments, someone asked about the recipe, and the person who had posted all those pictures responded that the full recipe is available on her blog. Even had she not had that available, one of the pictures shows the handwritten recipe and (with a very little work, but a little more eye strain) I was able to read enough of it to be able to use the pictures to fill in what could not be read (or was on the next page of her notebook). Of course, it was only after I had about 95% of the task done that I discovered the blog link. LOL!

Oh, and to answer your question: the recipe says margarine, but I'm sure butter would work (in fact, I know I would prefer it).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by chef_Tab (Rob, the pictures ar...)
Oh my, this looks so good. Here's the recipe that goes with the pictures -
Spiedini

1 lb. top sirloin beef, sliced thin
1-2 cloves garlic, minced fine
1/2 cup parsley, minced
1 cup Romano cheese, grated
1 stick unsalted butter
salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2-2 cups of plain bread crumbs
metal skewers

1. Sirloin beef, placed between two pieces of plastic wrap and pounded thin with the flat side of a meat tenderizer, or mallet.
2. Cut into 2" long and 1" wide pieces. Set aside.
3. Combine Romano cheese, garlic and parsley.
4. On a large cutting board lay pieces of beef. Butter each piece generously.
5. Sprinkle cheese mixture over top. Salt & Pepper.
6. Starting at one corner, tightly roll beef and place on skewer. Each skewer can fit 6-8 pieces.
7. Spread butter over each full skewer.
8. Dip each skewer into mound of bread crumbs.
9. Heat a large skillet with olive oil and remaining butter.
10. Brown meat on a medium heat. Rotating once golden.
11. Place skewers on paper towel to cool.
12. Serve with capellini and early peas.

and here's one with chicken - evidently the lemon goes with the chicken version and tomato with the beef?? This recipe came from recipezaar -

"We love having chicken spiedini at a local italian restaurant. I found this recipe in our local newspaper and gave it a try. We thought it was great and I hope you will too. It's a good choice for a summer cook-out. If I am short on time, I prepare the chicken as directed, but skip the rolling/skewering and simply grill it. Just as tasty and very easy."
SERVES 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil (see note)
2 tablespoons butter, melted (see note)

Directions
1. Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap; pound chicken gently with mallet until very thin (about 1/8 inch thick).

2. On waxed paper, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, lemon peel and garlic.

3. In shallow dish, combine olive oil and melted butter.

4. Dip chicken into butter mixture; coat with crumb mixture.

5. Tightly roll up and secure with wooden toothpicks, if needed.

6. Cut into 1-inch-thick pieces; thread onto metal skewer.

7. Remove wooden picks.

8. Repeat with remaining chicken.

9. To grill; Place skewers on lightly greased grid over medium hot coals.

10. Cover and grill for 5 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through.

11. Note: To reduce fat and calories, substitute 1/4 cup buttermilk for the butter/oil mixture.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Spedini Recipe? by cjs (Oh my, this looks so...)
Oh this looks very yum and very doable. I've got porkchops I've got to use tonite, but tomorrow Spiedini for sure

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life