Another Food Safety Question
  Re: (...)
My oven has a delay bake function. I had never tried this until last night, I had always wondered on the safety - health wise on this one.

But last night we decided to try it. I have to leave the house at 3:30 for Gym twice a week and we get home about 7:50 pm with tired hungry kids. I have been utilizing my crock pot a lot more, and when hubby is home he usually throws a casserole in, but when he is gone I am limited to what I can get on the table in 10 minutes. And you can only eat from the crock pot so much.

We bought a Stoufers Frozen lasagna family size. Put it in the oven at 3:30, set to start baking at 6:30 for 75 minutes. So it sat - frozen and very slowly thawing for 3 hours. It worked great. But I am wary on the safety of this. If I could do this with homemade frozen casserole type dishes it sure would open up some options for me.

I would set it up at 3:30 to start cooking at 6:15 or 6:30 Maybe even 6:00 since cooking from frozen I'd have to add some additional time. So it would be sitting frozen in the oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

What if I limited it to dishes that only contain cooked meat or eggs before being frozen - no raw meat products...

I just wanted to get the feeling of those of you who know a lot more about food safety on this one. I'd sure hate to give my kids food poisining.
  Re: Another Food Safety Question by esgunn (My oven has a delay ...)
I am no food safety expert, but I have done this a lot and we are all still alive and well. I just love that delay timer.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Another Food Safety Question by esgunn (My oven has a delay ...)
My mother used to do that - only she'd start it in the morning before she went to work! When I got old enough she'd just have me put the casserole or whatever in the oven when I got home from school.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by Harborwitch (My mother used to do...)
We've all done this and close to this (probably) all our cooking lives and we're still here to tell about it. I can even remember the days of putting the meat out on the counter to defrost!!!

I think you'll be fine putting a frozen casserole in the oven and pre-setting it, Erin. Not because I think there is not danger, but because so many folks do this...which is probably not what you wanted to hear.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by cjs (We've all done this ...)
I would guess that food that is fully cooked would still be very safe. I used to use the delay start pretty regularly and lived to tell.

Mainly, I used delay start for ribs. I would put frozen ribs in the oven on a rack, pour beer over it and then sprinkle with garlic. Seal the pan with foil and bake it about 6 hours at a low temp. Then the ribs would cool in the oven so when I got home from work they'd be ready to finish off on the grill.
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by cjs (We've all done this ...)
Quote:

We've all done this and close to this (probably) all our cooking lives and we're still here to tell about it. I can even remember the days of putting the meat out on the counter to defrost!!!

What?? I always defrost on the counter by the fridge.

This is wrong?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
So good to know! Thanks! And I am glad we are all still standing!

Barbara - I do this to, but you really should defrost overnight in the refer. We use a piece of aluminum - makes defrosting really quick - transfers the heat away or into or something like that. Not sure - just know it works.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"What?? I always defrost on the counter by the fridge"

Folks do it, and live, but you sure don't want the Health Dept seeing you do that.

That was a good question. When I put the butt in the crock pot on low yesterday morning, I wondered just how long it would take to get up to temp. I got scared and turned it on high for a few hours.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by Lorraine ("What?? I always def...)
My mother in law leaves her food on the table for cleanup the next day sometimes. Makes me crazy and it doesn't happen when I am there. She also takes her mayo and lunch meat out of the fridge in the morning for lunch because she does not like things cold. She is still alive, but I would never do any of this.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Another Food Safety Question by chef_Tab (My mother in law lea...)
Now that's scary Theresa! But you know, my grandMIL used to wrap up food from a big dinner, like Thanksgiving, and put it on a table on the porch overnight instead of taking up room in the fridge. It used to be standard practice. But I wouldn't do it today.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.