December - Cocktail Party Review
  Re: (...)
Okay, so from the other thread it appears that people are in favor a "Cocktail Party" theme. Great!

So if you have a birthday in the month of December, please submit an appetizer recipe (or two) and a cocktail recipe.

More details will be added to this thread as our plans develop.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: December - Cocktail Party Review by luvnit (Okay, so from the ot...)
I am going to a Christmas Cookie Exchange and am planning on bringing an appy and a drink, so here they are:

Here is a photo (not my photo, just something to make us drool).
[Image: ZucchiniSmokedSalmonAppetizers.jpg]

Zucchini Rolls with Salmon and Cream Cheese

6 oz smoked salmon (flaked with a fork)
8 oz smoked salmon cream cheese (I used regular, about 2 tubs)
1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
small bunch of chives, chopped
freshly ground black pepper
sea salt
extra virgin olive oil
1 zucchini (about 8 inches long) cut in half

1. Slice zucchini into very thin slices with a vegetable peeler. Lay out on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Mix smoked salmon, cream cheese, garlic and chives (reserve a small amount of the smoked salmon to use as garnish).

3. Place a spoonful of filling at one end of each zucchini slice and roll up. They should stay closed without a toothpick. Garnish with extra smoke salmon. Keep chilled until ready to serve.

As for the cocktail part, I plan to make the Cosmopolitan Punch in last year's Holiday Menus issue of Cuisine at Home.

This one I have made already, but it was a HUGE hit.

Cosmopolitan Punch

4 cups vodka
2 cups frozen limeade
1 cup triple sec
1 cup cranberry juice
1 bottle sparkling wine
1 liter club soda

Stir all ingredients in a large pitcher or punch bowl; add ice. When cold remove unmelted cubes and serve. Garnish with strips of lime zest.

(okay when I made this I froze the cranberry juice in a block and chilled the rest of the ingredients. With all the cold ingredients, adding the limeade concentrate and block of cranberry juice, it was nice and cold). A punch bowl was just big enough to hold it all.)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by luvnit (I am going to a Chri...)
OH MY! Baby girl is going to flip out when I serve this one! I will definitely have to serve this when she's here over Thanksgiving so she gets to sample it! Everybody here LOVES salmon and Baby girl has wanted to try Cosmos for a long time. She thinks Sex in the City is the BEST!

I haven't said it yet, but I LOVE this idea!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by luvnit (I am going to a Chri...)
Oh my! I can almost taste that - I think I'll be making that soon too. I have some lovely smoked salmon in the freezer!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by Harborwitch (Oh my! I can almost...)
C'mon, c'mon, this is getting good!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by cjs (C'mon, c'mon, this i...)
My birthday's not in December, but can I submit a belated November one? I have some great ones I haven't made in years, but really want to make this year.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by Lorraine (My birthday's not in...)
Of course you silly goose! Your birthday started this anyway!

Here's one I've made that turned out great. I didn't get 30 appys because I put a little more than 1 teaspoon in each purse:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potstickers with Mandarin Pork Filling

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Potstickers-
Sprinkle with 1 Teaspoon Salt:
2 1/2 cups napa cabbage -- thinly sliced
Add:
8 ounces ground pork or chicken
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon scallions -- minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger -- minced
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Fill -- Brown, and Steam:
30 potsticker or gyoza wrappers
3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil -- divided
2/3 cup water -- divided
Toss with:
Hot-and-Sour Chili Sauce -- below
For the Hot-and-Sour Chili Sauce-
Combine:
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons scallions -- minced
2 teaspoons hot chili oil
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro -- minced
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger -- minced

Sprinkle cabbage with salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze cabbage tightly in your fist to remove all excess liquid.

Add remaining filling ingredients and combine thoroughly.

Fill each round wrapper with a teaspoon of filling; wrap and seal. Heat a large saute pan over medium until hot; add 1 1/2 T. oil, swirling to coat. Add half the potstickers, seam side up, and cook until bottoms are golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until water has evaporated, 5-6 minutes. Carefully scrape the potstickers from the pan to keep the crusty bottoms intact and keep warm. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, then brown and steam the remaining potstickers.

Toss the warm potstickers with sauce to coat.

Combine all of the ingredients for the chili sauce in a large bowl and set aside. (If you want extra sauce for dipping the potstickers, double the recipe.)

Source:
"Cuisine at home, February 2006, Issue 55, p. 26-27"
S(Internet Address):
""
Yield:
"30 each"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by bjcotton (Of course you silly ...)
OMG!! This is going to be GREAT!!! I have an appy to suggest, it's one I kind of made up but based on a C@H recipe. Will that be okay?
Laura, those look delish, we are big smoked salmon fans, I think I will use lox. Wheeee How FUN!!

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Dinner Review by farnfam (OMG!! This is going...)
I am so excited! This looks like one of those threads you save the whole thing! YIPPPPEEEEE!

Lorraine, if you don't share I'll be very disappointed! Like Billy said, your birthday and the fact you didn't think you could participate is what started this whole thing. Go for it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: December - Cocktail Party Review by luvnit (Okay, so from the ot...)
Bird’s Nest

1-Tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
1-medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped anchovy fillets
3-Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
½ cup diced cooked beets

1-Egg yolk

Swedish flatbread

Mound capers in center of serving bowl or round platter. Surround with rings of onion, anchovy, parsley and beets

Place egg yolk in shell in egg cup at side of the bowl. The custom is for the guest of honor to pour the yolk into the “nest” and mix all ingredients together. Serve with Swedish flatbread.

Six servings

Artichoke Bottoms with Pâté

1-14 ounce can artichoke bottoms
1-tablespoon butter
½ pound fresh chicken livers
1-finely chopped small onion
Pinch of thyme
4-mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1-tablespoon brandy
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1-hard-cooked egg yolk, sieved

Drain artichoke bottoms and reserve juice. Set aside.

Melt butter in skillet over low heat; add livers, onion, thyme, and mushrooms sauté about eight minutes. Livers should be pink inside.

Heat brandy and ignite. Pour over livers. Transfer contents of skillet to blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Cool in refrigerator.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon a generous amount of pâté on top of each artichoke bottom and garnish with sieved egg. Serve cold.

6-8 servings

Sangria Pícante

3 ¾-cups dry white wine
3-tablespoons brandy
2-small red chiles, seeded and quartered
2-medium tart green apples, diced
2-medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
2-large yellow plums, peeled, pitted and sliced
1-cup club soda

Combine all ingredients except the club soda in a large serving pitcher and refrigerate overnight.

On the next day, immediately before serving, mix in the club soda for added fizz. Serve over ice.

Makes 6-glasses.

There is a dinner menu that I want to post as well - not for the December Birthday review since we are doing this theme - but it is a menu that I like to make for very special times-just a two person menu which I will make for mine and Mister's birthdays - This is one for me that you need tons of time and tons of pots (and a sous chef)- I will post it as soon as Mister gets the computer sorted out from all the "vacation" viruses