Gobble Gobble Time
  Re: (...)
Wow can you believe how fast Thanksgiving has snuck up on us? Agh! I am now at the age where I will be cooking Thanksgiving meals on my own..I can't depend on my grandparents and parents to cook Thanksgiving dinner for me forever right!? Opinions needed what do you think about the 2 hour turkey recipe at www.safeway.com/thanksgiving Their culinary experts say it is fool proof what do you think?
  Re: Gobble Gobble Time by DanHumphrey (Wow can you believe ...)
Sounds foolproof to me-- --welcome to the forum.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Gobble Gobble Time by Old Bay (Sounds foolproof to ...)
Have never tried it that way but, if I remember correctly, it sounds like something that was in Cooks Illustrated a few years ago, and is supposed to be very good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gobble Gobble Time by labradors (Have never tried it ...)
hmmmm, a couple of things jump out at me -

"6.Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer near the center of the breast through thickest part until the tip touches bone, which is most accurate spot to check doneness (Tip B)."

You don't want the temp probe touching bone, you won't get a true reading.

"If joint is red or pink, return legs to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes (at 300° to 475°) or heat in a microwave oven for 3 to 4 minutes."

I hate what a microwave does to turkey/poultry parts when this method is used to 'finish cooking'

Otherwise, I guess this would be a good plan to follow to start out your turkey cookin' days!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gobble Gobble Time by cjs (hmmmm, a couple of t...)
I love the idea of saving time and not having the oven being "taken" for so long. This would really help when you've got other stuff you'd like to bake.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Gobble Gobble Time by farnfam (I love the idea of s...)
Ditto on the microwave with poultry! Don't really like Chef Mike touching any meat...can easily "kill" beef as well. Same feelings on the thermometer as well. Stay away from bones and whenever possible go digital for a more accurate reading and don't forget to "calibrate" in ice water as well every now and again.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Gobble Gobble Time by firechef (Ditto on the microwa...)
I thought you were supposed to temp in the thigh area of a bird?
  Re: Re: Gobble Gobble Time by iBcookin (I thought you were s...)
It's kind of an either/or Linda - the standard is 165F. in the breast area and 180F. in the thigh. But, I think the USDA or whomever has changed/or is changing the requirements to 165F. in the thigh and/or the thickest part of the breast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gobble Gobble Time by DanHumphrey (Wow can you believe ...)
if you have further q's there is a how to video that will show you the process on how to cook the 2 hour turkey on the site too