Chanterelles - For Bill
  Re: (...)
Ran across some beatiful chanterelles the other day at Central Market and thought of you. We had them last night with a couple other dishes I can't mention (until Nov. 10th ) and they were just great! From epicurious website.

[Image: chanterelles.jpg]

Chanterelle Fricassée
"Fricasse De Girolles This makes a wonderful side dish to poultry or seafood, or a lovely dish all on its own."

1 tablespoon goose fat or olive oil
1 shallot -- minced
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 pound wild or cultivated mushrooms -- trimmed and cleaned
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves -- firmly packed

Heat the goose fat or olive oil with the shallot and the garlic in a large skillet over medium heat. When the shallot has turned translucent, after about 2 minutes, add the mushrooms and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until they give up most of their liquid.

Increase the heat to medium-high, season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and continue cooking and shaking the pan until most - but not all - of the liquid has evaporated. This will take about 8 minutes.

2. Mince the parsley and stir it into the mushrooms and continue cooking for an additional minute. Taste for seasoning, remove from the heat and serve immediately.

---

Simplicity at its best - especially with a Tobin James '06 Ballistic Zin
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by cjs (Ran across some beat...)
I am salivating!! They are beautiful! I so envy you folks in the NW with your bounty of beautiful produce.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by cjs (Ran across some beat...)
Boy, do they look good! I'll bet the goose fat put them over the top, if that's what you used.

Thanks for the recipe, Jean, if I ever see Chanterelles around here, I'll be sure to scoop them up.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by pjcooks (Boy, do they look go...)
(had duck...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by cjs ((had duck...) [img]/...)
Jean, Jean, Jean! Do you ever stop taunting me with this delicious looking food? I am fairly sure I will never find Chanterelles here. The bowl is beautiful too. I want to be Jean in my next life.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by chef_Tab (Jean, Jean, Jean! Do...)
YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by Gourmet_Mom (YUM!...)
They had a huge container of fresh Chanterelles as Costco today.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by chef_Tab (Jean, Jean, Jean! Do...)
Quote:

Jean, Jean, Jean! Do you ever stop taunting me with this delicious looking food? I am fairly sure I will never find Chanterelles here. The bowl is beautiful too. I want to be Jean in my next life.

We get them for $45/lb in Texas!! We brought home 5lbs on the plane at $9./lb.
We enjoyed them for a week. Jean knows how much we love them.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by esgunn (They had a huge cont...)
Thanks , Jean. Here's what I'll do. Sub duck fat for the goose, add a bit of stock and cream and serve it over noodles or toast or something. For breakfast, crack a few eggs into that, very soft scrambled, if we can find brioche... I''m hungry.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chanterelles - For Bill by esgunn (They had a huge cont...)
Why can't our Costco get them???? Whine. Geeze Jean - those look soooo good I'm drooling on the keyboard. Slurp.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!