? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book
  Re: (...)
My 15 yr old wanted to make this recipe, but got stopped by a discrepancy. Told him I'd see what I could find out. The recipe is on pg 63 of the Splendid Soups Cuisine cookbook. The part in question is this:
Quote:

Melt; Add and sweat:
1 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup carrot, minced
1/2 cup celery, minced

Then later it reads:
Quote:

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; cover and sweat 3 minutes.

Now the issue my son is having is this: Obviously butter is supposed to be used to sweat the veggies, but how much butter? It's not in the recipe at all... neither in the ingredients list, nor in the prep portion. So for the 2 cups of veggies needing to be sweated, how much butter should be used?
  Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by FeingoldMomma (My 15 yr old wanted ...)
I have not made this yet. I think I would use 2 Tbsp unsalted butter. Hope it works out.

You could always start with one and if not enough, add more as needed, but I would not think you would need to have more than 2Tbsp.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by esgunn (I have not made this...)
And welcome to the forum!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by esgunn (And welcome to the f...)
I agree with Erin, you shouldn't need more than 2 Tbs.

Welcome to our home.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by bjcotton (I agree with Erin, y...)
I agree too! Come back and join the neighborhood often!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by cjs (I agree too! Come ba...)
I'll echo both the welcome and the advice. Two tablespoons of butter or oil, in such cases, is a VERY typical amount - almost enough so to be in the "goes without saying" category but, of course, it SHOULD be said, SOMEWHERE. Good thing you caught that before you had everything all laid out, sitting there, waiting!

Again, welcome to the forum. Don't just run away, now, after having a single question answered. Instead, join this wonderful group of people and enjoy LOTS of great food discussions (as well as discussions of great food).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by labradors (I'll echo both the w...)
Thanks all for the welcome! I'll be here plenty, since we do a lot of cooking in this house. My hubby (who didn't do much cooking before we got together 4 yrs ago) has gone crazy learning to cook and enjoying it, and is now exploring the joys of fresh pasta, thanks to a pasta machine my parents got us. My son, who's been joining me in the kitchen since he was old enough to bang pots and pans together, has been doing more with recipes lately (and makes a mean banana bread). I love all of it, and love Cuisine at Home... so much so that when my parents came out to visit this summer, I hooked them on the 'zine,too.

Got them a sub as this year's holiday gift.

Laura
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by FeingoldMomma (Thanks all for the w...)
Hi Laura, welcome to our group. Lots to learn here.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by FeingoldMomma (Thanks all for the w...)
Welcome Laura! How wonderful that you have help in the kitchen! My girls did not start cooking until they moved out. I cannot complain too loudly though as I was the same way! I look forward to seeing you online more.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: ? re: Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Soups book by chef_Tab (Welcome Laura! How w...)
Since your question has been adequately answered, I'll just add MY WELCOME! I hope you will join us often, we have a lot of fun sharing ideas and discussing recipes...especially C@H!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.