Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen
  Re: (...)
This question came up at work recently-I was putting some canned tuna in the walk-in, where I am sure it belongs, and my boss asked me why I was doing that. We're both Serve-Safed, and nothing was ever mentioned about that in our classes, but at my last job, we were written up for not storing our tuna in the fridge. The reasoning was we were going to mix it up with mayo, which was also refered, it all needed to be the same temp.

That job was in another town that had it's own health inspector, with more stringent rules than the state. But it makes sense to me.

I haven't found anything yet on the internet about this. Anyone have any experience with this?

Another question, I noticed the gallons of mayo siting on a shelf in an 80+ part of the kitchen. In all the kitchen jobs I have worked, we kept it in the walk-in. I'm sure that is right, too, it should be kept cool-you don't want to pull it and set it on the line at 80 degrees. Editing to add, I realize there's not a whole lot of danger here, I just don't want for us to be written up for something that is preventable. We need to save it for the big stuff

And, we found out Friday we have no fire extinguisher. After a TurboChef oven fire which burned itself out-yikes, you'd think a university would be a bit more knowledgeable....

PJ
  Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by pjcooks (This question came u...)
I have never heard of that. The only reason why I've seen it done was when it was mixed with the mayo it was for a tuna salad and it needs to be served chilled. Serving shelf temp tuna makes folks think it's not been properly stored.

As for the mayo there are new mayo's on the market that do not require refrigeration. But it will state that on the container. We used 3 gallon buckets of this at Pucks. Kinda freaked me out until I read the label.

As for the extinguisher's..I would say that's a no no...however...most kitchens are equipped a halon system which is kitchen safe and easier to clean up. If you have one you will see nozzle under the vent hoods over the stove. They are usually about 10 inches apart.
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by DFen911 (I have never heard o...)
The tuna thing is not setting off any bells, whistles or alarms in my head and I worked in Cow Hampshire for many a year...We get our tuna in the 2 pound pouches and keep them in "dry" storage.

As for the mayo, most say refrigerate AFTER opening. If it needed to be refrigerated at all times it would be sold from the cold food section in the super market...right?

As for the extinguisher...what do you expect from a GOVERNMENT organization??? Bet the hockey team doesn't have any life/safety issues to put them at risk!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by firechef (The tuna thing is no...)
We never kept mayo and/or tuna under refrigeration anywhere I was working. And once mixed items were under refrigeration on the line.

I don't remember ever seeing the mayo that didn't need refrigeration....makes you wonder what all is in it to keep it safe????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by cjs (We never kept mayo a...)
Makes you wonder why so many things say refrigerate AFTER OPENING??? Okay, all of you "food scientists" time to enlighten us!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by firechef (Makes you wonder why...)
oh don't go there, LJ....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by cjs (We never kept mayo a...)
Did some checking today. The mayo from Roma (now Performance Food Group) says to keep refrigerated.

And, in the catering company I worked for, we had to keep the tuna under refrigeration because we were a catering company and food was leaving the premises, and could be standing for 2 hrs, give or take.

Yeah, Jean, I wonder what's in that heavy duty mayonaise.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by pjcooks (Did some checking to...)
"The mayo from Roma (now Performance Food Group) says to keep refrigerated." Is that before or after opening?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by firechef (Makes you wonder why...)
Okay, I'm not a food scientist, but... I did work in the bakery dept at Whole Foods Market, and have been Serve-Safed (we all had to go through it), and have done lots of canning with my mom when growing up. Here's how it works, as I understand it.

The canning process, whether steam, pressure, or vacuum-sealed, keeps the bacterias out. Once you break that seal, you allow oxygen and bacteria into prime real estate - moist and sugary. Hence the reason that many jarred items at the store say do not purchase if seal is broken. Items in cans shouldn't be purchased if the can is dented for the same reason - possibility of a broken seal, and thus the introduction of bacteria in a product that has potentially been on the shelf for a few months.

Also, for mayo, the salt, vinegar, and lemon all help preserve the product as well as naturally make it uninhabitable for bacteria. Supposedly, commercially prepared mayos are indeed shelf stable even after opening, and it's the addition of proteins (tuna, ham, eggs, etc) that cause food-borne illness issues. I've never been brave enough to try it. But between the ingredients of mayo and the procedure for jarring it, it is indeed shelf stable at room temp unopened for several months.

Hope this helps!
Laura
  Re: Re: Storing canned tuna in a commercial kitchen by FeingoldMomma (Okay, I'm not a food...)
In the Navy [and we all know how safe they are - NOT] we received tuna in 4 pound cans and it was stored in dry storage in the bowels of the *****. We'd probably get about a ton of it at a time.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy