Stroudsmoor Inn in Stoudsburg, PA
  Re: (...)
Hello Everyone!

Last Sunday my hubby announced to me that he was taking me away for my birthday and wouldn't reveal the name of where we would be staying as a surprise. (because I'd google it to check it out). It turns out that we would be staying at the Stroudsmoor Inn in East Stroudsburg, PA, right next door to the Delaware Water Gap.

When I was a kid I remember my Dad taking us up there one fall day and I believe we went to the top of Camelback Mountain and all I remember is seeing a sea of autumn oranges and red hills and valleys. I was only 6 or so, but this memory has survived and I always wanted to go back.

The color was still there, but an early Nor'easter had knocked a lot of the foliage down and there was snow on the top of Camelback and the top was closed to the public.

So we arrived at Stroudsmoor Inn on Thursday afternoon and checked into our "suite". And what a suite it was!! Big ole king size bed with a gazillion pillows, then a huge bathroom with a triangular jacuzzi and walk-in shower, and then a living room with a fold out sofa bed and fireplace! And, of course, an outdoor deck for star gazing (which wasn't as spectacular as Skyline Drive due to the light pollution from the city). Hubby assured me that it wasn't a budget breaker but the accomodations were spacious, to say the least!

The only disappointment was the food. That night I had the duck entree which consisted of two legs with thighs. A bit dried out along with the stuffing and not very flavorful, save for the cranberry sauce. Hubby had the pork loin, which was salty.

Breakfast the next day (included in the stay) was good, the scrambled eggs were prepared perfectly, but you could only get bacon, no other breakfast meat, and no potatoes.

So we hiked to 4 falls on Friday and drove around the PA side of the Water Gap. This country is just sooooo beautiful!!

Friday night was a buffet at the Inn - carving station, crab legs, steamed clams, eggplant rolls, salad, and such. It was okay, not very memorable. Hubby had an eggplant roll, but it was so salty, it ruined his taste for the prime rib, which was nice, but not the best grade of meat. I had the crab legs, which were just plain old snow crab and on the small side. The steamed clams were tough from being in the chafing dish.

The Saturday buffet breakfast was okay again. This time you could get potatoes with eggs, but only sausage, no bacon! Don't ask, I couldn't figure that one out, either.

All in all, I would highly recommend this Inn to stay at, the staff was friendly and helpful with information and what not, I would just go out and eat dinner at the local restaurants. And they had a handout of local places to go to and their prices.

Plus, there's a huge discount mall, The Crossings, about 10 miles away. But by Saturday morning, we were pretty stiff from all the hiking and had zero interest in shopping and just wanted to get back home to the kitties.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Stroudsmoor Inn in Stoudsburg, PA by BarbaraS (Hello Everyone![br][...)
What a beautiful place! I'm sorry you didn't have any good dining experiences. That's a shame. At least the views were spectacular!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh that sounds so nice Barbara. And romantic too. What a sweet hubby.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Sounds like a romantic get-away place, Barbara - aren't surprises just the best? - Sorry the food was not up to snuff though -
  Re: Re: Stroudsmoor Inn in Stoudsburg, PA by (Sounds like a romant...)
It is a very romantic place - they had an outdoor wedding on Friday and had another scheduled on Saturday after we left. Big "event" place!

And yes, my hubby's the BEST, I am sooooo lucky!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
If you can get him to take you in the Summer, I will draw you a map to the little bushkill falls up above otter lake. Great place to swim....

Spent my youth there swimming as I was one of the chefs for Camp William Penn run by the city of Philadelphia PA.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Stroudsmoor Inn in Stoudsburg, PA by bbally (If you can get him t...)
We were going to see Bushkill Falls, but they charge admission, it was getting late, and we wanted to go to the top of Camelback so I could show the hubby the view. Too bad it was closed.

Barbara
Sounds like you had a great time, Barbara! If the atmosphere is good, (and I'm in a good mood), I can forgive the food not being what I expect in some of these places. The suite sounds fabulous!

" as spectacular as Skyline Drive due to the light "

There's a Skyline Drive in Virginia, is that the same one?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Stroudsmoor Inn in Stoudsburg, PA by Lorraine (Sounds like you had ...)
Quote:

" as spectacular as Skyline Drive due to the light "

There's a Skyline Drive in Virginia, is that the same one?

Same one, Lorraine. We went there three years ago - for my BD as well - and sat outside for a couple hours. The sky was so clear (we saw the third ridge during the day), the Milky Way illuminated the sky and we watched shooting stars all over the place.

We're going back again sometime in the future.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Stroudsmoor Inn in Stoudsburg, PA by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Glad you had a good trip! Sorry you didn't enjoy your meal but that is becoming the normal in even the finest "rural" hotels. We are facing staffing and product cut backs like crazy...we are expected to meet the highest demands of quality with the fewest people possible. It is not just in the kitchens either...I have had members of the house keeping staff and office types doing plating of events so I could continue in the kitchen for restaurant guests. Heck, my hotel GM did salads for a recent luncheon as I was working on the entrees and my only cook was doing dishes since they cut the dishwasher and prep person for the early days of the week. Boutique hotels, B&Bs and the like are feeling a pinch in the rural markets around here.

Hope you are able to make the room memories out weigh the dinning memories.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)