Eggs
  Re: (...)
Atlanta had a taste of Atlanta Food Festival and one of the celebrity chefs was on TV demonstrating one of the brunch items he would be preparing. It was a poached egg dish where it was served in the egg shell. I noticed that he used brown eggs he did not speak as to why he used a brown egg vs white one. I have never used or eaten a brown egg. Is there a difference in taste or the way they cook up? Is it the type of chicken that lays a brown versus a white egg? Just curious.
  Re: Eggs by wheatleyp1 (Atlanta had a taste ...)
Yes, the shells are a different color. Brown eggs come from a different breed of chicken than white eggs. That is the only difference.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Eggs by bjcotton (Yes, the shells are ...)
Someone once told me the brown eggs are fresher. I have never confirmed this, I try to buy the Egglands Best brown cage free eggs. I really do think they taste better, plus I feel sorry for chickens that are not allowed to run around! Crazy me.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Eggs by chef_Tab (Someone once told me...)
We sure did love those brown eggs back in the day when we raised the Rhode Island Reds. Now, it's store bought white eggs, maybe the flavor of the yolk is a bit diminished, I don't know. The brown home raised eggs were just so, y'know "our own". All the same, I miss those days, but wouldn't go back, too much freedom now.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Eggs by chef_Tab (Someone once told me...)
Quote:

Someone once told me the brown eggs are fresher.

They're only fresher if they just happen to be fresher - not because they are brown eggs. Likewise, contrary to some popular belief, there are NO nutritional differences between brown and white eggs. The only differences are the colour of the shells and the breed of chickens they would produce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Eggs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We raised chickens for years and the very best ones were the ones the chickens were let loose to run around all day - the yolks were absolutely golden.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Eggs by cjs (We raised chickens f...)
Quote:

We raised chickens for years and the very best ones were the ones the chickens were let loose to run around all day - the yolks were absolutely golden.

We raised chickens in the back yard for several years when I was a child. I remember my grandmother (born in 1897) wringing their necks and them flopping all over the back yard--she put them in boiling water and then picked them clean--not nice looking, but fine fried chicken. In those days we mostly ate fried chicken in Texas.

Anyone else with memories like this??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Eggs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Someone once told me the brown eggs are fresher.

They're only fresher if they just happen to be fresher - not because they are brown eggs. Likewise, contrary to some popular belief, there are NO nutritional differences between brown and white eggs. The only differences are the colour of the shells and the breed of chickens they would produce.

[/blockquote]

My neice raises chickens on her family farm (and yes, those ARE the best eggs!). The color of the shell makes no difference. As a matter of fact, they told me the "brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh" campaign several years ago was supersuccessful, it made people reach for the brown eggs. All these years later, brown eggs are still more expensive than white.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Eggs by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We raise chickens . . . both egg layers and meat (there is a difference). Tough for me to go back to a store bought egg. I think the diet and the caging contributes to the color of the yolks. Ours are a vivid orange/yellow compared to the light lemon color of yolks that you typically get from the mass produced.

But the color of the shell is just determined by the breed of the chicken - we are actually getting green shells from some of ours.
  Re: Re: Eggs by iBcookin (We raise chickens . ...)
Quote:

...we are actually getting green shells from some of ours.

Those must be the ones from Dr. Seuss' chickens.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?