L/O Duck Pizza
  Re: (...)
Had a great marinated boneless duck half last night for dinner and brought enough home to play with some pizzas. Does anyone have any combination with duck that they like really well?

I have a couple of ideas -
roasted butternut squash
sage
duck
gruyere or fontina
drizzledd with a little truffle oil
----
sauerkraut
mushrooms
onions
duck
mozzarella
-----
hoisin
mushroom
caramelized onions
spinach
ricotta
----
oh and -
caramelized pears and duck....

this is going to be hard to choose.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: L/O Duck Pizza by cjs (Had a great marinate...)
When I worked at Wolfgang's, they used to let us make something from out stations to eat during breaks. When I was working on pizzas, I sometimes borrowed some of the already-cooked duck, that we had in the walk-in for the BBQ Duck Quesadillas. Thus, I would make a BBQ duck pizza.

Duck has its own, wonderful flavour, and if you're going to feature it in something like a pizza, you should be sure that the flavours of the other ingredients don't fight for centre stage. Shuffling things around, a bit, in your list, and adding some other suggestions, here's how I would go (and in this order on top of the crust):
  • Asian BBQ sauce, but not something quite as strong as Hoisin. Instead, the kind with pineapple and ginger.
  • A mixture of Mozzarella and Fontina (that's what our "pizza blend" at the restaurant was)
  • Caramelised onions
  • Sautéed mushrooms (we always used a blend of regular, Portobello and Shiitake)
  • Duck
  • A light sprinkling of freshly grated Smoked Gouda.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: L/O Duck Pizza by cjs (Had a great marinate...)
Number 2 sounds really good to me - perhaps a pear or apple and fennel salad along side?

I really liked the flavors in the duck tostada - maybe some ancho chili sauce, scallions, duck, roasted poblano strips, and mozz. & queso fresco. Ooooh maybe banana ketchup????? instead of ancho chili?????? Maybe a little masa harina in the crust?????? Good grief - I want that for lunch!

Wow! I haven't made "duck in kraut" in years and years.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: L/O Duck Pizza by Harborwitch (Number 2 sounds real...)
good ideas guys, thanks.

labs, the last duck pizza I made I layered:
Demi glace (because it was in frig)
Chiantino cheese
mushrooms
Duck
Drizzled blueberry chutney
Sprinkled the top with something, but can’t remember what (darn, forgot to write it down)

and oh my, it was delicious
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: L/O Duck Pizza by cjs (good ideas guys, tha...)
Quote:

...and oh my, it was delicious

That DOES sound good! Also sounds (to me) as a better combination than some of the things you mentioned earlier, since some of those other ingredients have so MUCH flavour of their own that I'd be afraid they wouldn't complement the duck, but take away from it.

Of course, with my love for duck, I'm thinking about maximising the pizza's "duckness."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: L/O Duck Pizza by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh boy, were they good! Made two small one and we had the l/os this a.m. for breakfast.

one - hoisin
l/o veggies from the restaurant's boneless duck dish
mozzarella
duck
parm

two - marinara sauce
mushrooms
Chiantino cheese
duck
parm

Rubbed both pizza rounds with truffle oil first.... oh how decadent they were!
www.achefsjourney.com