Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ?
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone!

I can't remember when I was "here" last, probably early this past spring before... stuff... started to happen and I didn't have much discretionary internet time. Hope that you're all doing well and cooking up a storm!

I have a question regarding a recipe in Issue #60 (December 06). The Chocolate Pound Cake with Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting is on my short list for dessert for my 25th anniversary dinner in early December. I like this recipe because I am planning to bake cake itself a week ahead and freeze it, but I am wondering if I can make the frosting a day or two ahead of time.

I do not make but a couple of cakes a year and my buttercreams have always been of the uncooked variety. This one, however, utilizes a hot sugar syrup beaten with whipped egg whites, then butter and melted chocolate are beaten in. It looks lovely, but would I be able to make the buttercream at least a day in advance? And would I be able to frost the cake then, or just hold the frosting in the refrigerator then frost the cake early in the afternoon of the party?

With any luck, demands and happenings should abate a little in the coming weeks and I will have more time to spend on much-missed cooking sites such as this one.

And thanks to everyone, in advance, for their time responding to my request.

~Vicci
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by foodfiend (Hi everyone![br][br]...)
Hi Vicci, welcome back! I'm no baker, but I don't think you could freeze such a delicate sounding icing. But then again maybe you can, we shall soon see
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by farnfam (Hi Vicci, welcome ba...)
Hi Cis,

I edited my post to clarify that I don't want to freeze the frosting. I will bake the cake ahead and freeze it, but the frosting I want to make a day or two ahead of time and refrigerate (if it wouldn't collapse or dry out or whatever). In a perfect world, I would have the time to do everything on the day of the party, but... I figure that if I only have to frost the cake early that day (rather than also make the frosting), it will help my timeline out a lot.

In a slightly-related note, DH and I were married up your way, in Portsmouth NH, lo those 25 years ago... Bet you're getting some snow fluffies today!

~Vicci
  Re: Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by foodfiend (Hi Cis,[br][br]I edi...)
The "Dessert of the Month Club" (yes, that's for real) could not exist were it not possible to freeze cakes. They even send them out already frosted, but I'm sure that's not with Italian buttercream.

Since you're only worried about the cake, and will be frosting it on the day of serving, it should be okay. It's probably a good idea to make sure it has thawed well before frosting, though, just in case the frozen cake could be too cold for applying the frosting.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by foodfiend (Hi Cis,[br][br]I edi...)
"Bet you're getting some snow fluffies today!

~Vicci"

Oh yes we are, see my post SNOW!! for pix
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by farnfam ("Bet you're getting ...)
Hi stranger!! I usually stay far, far away from baking/pastry questions, but... pound cake freezes beautifully!! You'll have no problem.

Happy (early) Anniversary!! And don't be such a stranger!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by cjs (Hi stranger!! I usua...)
Cis, gorgeous photos! I think I'll stop complaining about the flurries (although my real complaint is about the cold!)

Anyway, I guess that I didn't explain well in my original post. Or perhaps I explained too much (yak, yak, yak)!

But the cake itself isn't the issue- I just want to find out if it is possible to prepare the frosting a day or two ahead of time.

And, if so, could I possibly even go so far as to frost the cake the night before???

(must learn to be more succinct....)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by cjs (Hi stranger!! I usua...)
Well, hi there, Vicci! Nice to see you! I don't have a clue how to answer your question...too bad Linda isn't around any more...but I do have a suggestion. How about trying to email C@H and ask them to check with the chefs to see how well that frosting holds up and if it could be made a day ahead.

Hope to see you more often around here.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting ? by foodfiend (Hi everyone![br][br]...)
I am not a baker and I do not know about frosting, but this is what I found on this site .

Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) This is more popular than Swiss Meringue Buttercream. After the meringue is whipped to stiff peaks, and in the case of the Italian Meringue, cooled to room temperature. is made with softball (240 degree F) sugar syrup poured into whipping egg whites. Once whipped, add softened butter to the bowl, little at a time and whip until a fluffy consistency is reached. You can make the icing in advance; keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week. Italian Meringue Buttercream can be frozen for up to 3 months (some baker's have reported that it has kept longer). NOTE: In the book, ON FOOD AND COOKING, by Harold McGee, he says that "Because much of the syrup's heat is lost to the bowl...the foam mass normally gets no hotter than 130 or 135 degrees F, which is insufficient to kill salmonella", page 108. You can use powdered pasteurized egg whites to make the Italian Meringue Buttercream is you are concerned.

QUESTION: I've been told that Italian and Swiss Meringue Buttercream can be left out from 6 hours, all the way to 2 weeks. Does anyone know for certain the answer?

ANSWER: To refrigerate or not: There are many conflicting answers as to whether you need to refrigerate this frosting or not. Normally, meringue frostings made with EGG WHITES (no egg yolks or whole eggs) do not need refrigeration, but with the salmonella concerns of today, I recommend keeping it refrigerated. (Food Safety). Professionals are cautious because of the concerns about egg safety and that is playing into the answers you get. See Pantry: Eggs.
Cooked meringue can be refrigerated for several days or frozen for 6 months. Therefore, it can stay out of refrigeration for 2 hours on the cool side of room temperature. If you do, be sure to allow the buttercream to come to room temperature, then whip it with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is once again thick, smooth, and shiny and returns to its original volume. Some information from ON FOOD AND COOKING, by Harold McGee.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Hi, Vicci, long time and all!

I'll add my 2 cents. I have successfully made Italian buttercream a day ahead of time with no loss of quality. I frosted the cake, refered overnight.

Hope this helps!

PJ
PJ