white chicken chili
  Re: (...)
Has anyone made this from the Soups, Stews, and Chilis book? I made this today and it was good. A friend made it a few days ago and complained it was a bit too spicy. When I read the recipe, it calls for a teaspoon of white pepper. I don't think I have ever used that much in a single recipe, so I cut it in half. I did not find the chili spicy at all. Now I am questioning if the amount of pepper is a typo, or just chalk the whole thing up to differences in taste.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: white chicken chili by chef_Tab (Has anyone made this...)
It wouldn't be the first. On the other hand, a lot of people have told me they have learned to cut certain ingredients in half when they are in the C@H recipes. Red pepper flakes and feta are two that come to mind. Especially the feta.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: white chicken chili by Gourmet_Mom (It wouldn't be the f...)
If a recipe calls for peppers, I usually increase them. If the recipe calls for red-pepper flakes, I use Cayenne. Of course, I DO test them to make sure they aren't getting TOO hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: white chicken chili by labradors (If a recipe calls fo...)
I'm so loyal to the White Chicken Chile in my Best Recipe Book that I wasn't even interested in trying this one. If I get ambitious in the next few days, I'll type it in for ya'all.

And I agree about the amounts of pepper and red pepper flakes in many of the recipes. Cut in half at a minimum.
  Re: Re: white chicken chili by HomeCulinarian (I'm so loyal to the ...)
I used to double the amount of pepper, until C@H recipes. Same for Tobasco. I am questioning a full teaspoon of pepper. I am fairly sure I have never seen that in a recipe before. Typically, it seems to be 1/4 tsp pepper in most dishes.
I am with you HC, I have a different White Chicken Chili recipe that I like better as well. I just thought that since the Lentil Soup recipe was better than my old one, I would try this one.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: white chicken chili by chef_Tab (I used to double the...)
White pepper is not as strong as black pepper, so you can use more.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com