Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread
  Re: (...)
Oh Boy, what a winner this is and perfect timing for the holidays - I needed such a little pumpkin for the bread pudding (and...Roy could only find a large can of pumpkin) I had oodles left over to use in other dishes.

This was part of a BHG newsletter -
* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread

1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce) softened
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Makes 1-1/2 cups (24, 1-tablespoon servings).

------
We had this last night on small squares of nut bread - it's just delightful!!

I still have some left and this recipe was also in the same newsletter, so I guess I'll be really bad and make these. Ooops, no not BHG - this one is from Southern Cooking newsletter.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies

6 tablespoons butter -- melted
1 cup light brown sugar -- packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 egg
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour

Butter and flour an 11x7-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350°.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs until light and creamy. Beat in pumpkin puree. In another bowl, combine 1 cup of flour with baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. Slowly beat into the first mixture until well blended. Spread in prepared baking pan.

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 egg, confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons flour. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Spoon onto the pumpkin batter. Using a small narrow spatula or butter knife, swirl the cream cheese batter into the pumpkin batter.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by cjs (Oh Boy, what a winne...)
OOoo, that looks good, and nut bread sounds good too. It snowed here yesterday (didn't stick) These types of recipes help me to "embrace the winter", all ten months of it. LOL
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by cjs (Oh Boy, what a winne...)
Oh, those brownies look really good - thanks for posting these, Jean!
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by (Oh, those brownies l...)
Jean, when you put the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter, do you drop it in dollups, or spread on evenly before swirling? I may try this over the weekend, I think I may have guests.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by chef_Tab (Jean, when you put t...)
I haven't made these either but...
"Spoon onto the pumpkin batter. Using a small narrow spatula or butter knife, swirl the cream cheese batter into the pumpkin batter." ...sounds like spread over and then run the knife/spatula thru a little to swirl.

Anxious to hear - don't know if I'll get these made before this weekend (crap, this is Thursday, isn't it ) - maybe tomorrow, Scarlett.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by cjs (I haven't made these...)
Let me tell you this house smells like heaven!! The pumpkin brownies are in the oven, but I was a little disappointed that the bottom layer (the pumpkin cake part) didn't bubbly up and over the cream cheese filling. I swirled it, but a lot of it stayed on top. (Baking....my nemesis )

But, we'll see when I cut into them...which will be very soon

Oh my, are these delicious little buggers!!! Not the prettiest brownie I've seen, but the flavor more than makes up for it!
[Image: pumpkinbrownies.jpg]
(think I'll stir things up a bit more next time)
I'm off to get my hair cut, so these are for Julie and the girls.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by cjs (Let me tell you this...)
This is cruel and unusual punishment, Jean! I can't taste a thing through my monitor!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread by chef_Tab (This is cruel and un...)
Good Grief! After a week of cooking "plain" stuff, I need a goodie fix! I'm spending the morning tomorrow putting together my menu and grocery shop for something yummy! I haven't made the one with the tortellinis (sp) in it...Minestra? It's supposed to be rainy and cool tomorrow...soup weather! I may have to throw this in as well!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.