Last Lasagna question I swear!
  Re: (...)
Ok so I went to another store and found the no boil pasta sheet by Barilla.

Will it hold up and not get mushy if I assemble the dish tomorrow night and bake it Friday morning? I have never used a no boil pasta before.

I bought the standard pasta as well.

Good lord when did lasagna become such a fiasco for me?
  Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by DFen911 (Ok so I went to anot...)
Quote:

Ok so I went to another store and found the no boil pasta sheet by Barilla.

Will it hold up and not get mushy if I assemble the dish tomorrow night and bake it Friday morning? I have never used a no boil pasta before.

I bought the standard pasta as well.

Good lord when did lasagna become such a fiasco for me?

I don't know--go for it--take one for the rest of us!! I'll take the next one--my opinion--don't overcook and it will work!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Denise, if you follow the directions on the package, it should be fine. However, I would NOT add extra water to the dish, (as I previously had mentioned doing) because those sheets of pasta are much thinner than the type that are usually boiled, and your dish would probably get way too mushy, IMHO.

The reason lasagna got so complicated is because you are now a chef and want it to be perfect. Relax...it's going to be great.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by Mare749 (Denise, if you follo...)
I have made these lasagnas ahead of time and parboiled the barilla lasagna sheets and it turned out great. I have not had good experience when I used the sheets "raw" in other recipes - the lasagna was too loose.
  Re: Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by HomeCulinarian (I have made these la...)
Can't offer any help from this direction - I've never used the no-cook. But I think I agree with Maryann, you may be overthinking this dish - just go for it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Denise,

I have used these before, a few times really. They are pretty good, and better than doing the 'no-boil' recipes using regular lasagna noodles.

Still, I prefer using these noodles and par-boiling them until pliable. It's a texture thing, for me. Although I will say the difference is slight. You can always try it and decide if you like them.

If you ever made the Molto Manicotti from Cuisine at Home, this is the noodle they used for the manicotti.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by luvnit (Denise,[br][br]I hav...)
Denise, I use them regularly for my Chicken Cordon Blue Lasagna. I usually make a full recipe - assemble in two dishes, freeze one and bake one. I do not parboil the noodles. The sauce I use is a thick bechemel with parmesean and parsley. I add more sauce than I probably usually would, because the noodles absorb more of the sauce as they cook. I also cook a little longer than the original recipe called for - I cook at least and hour to 1 1/4 hours - the originally recipe called for 45 min.

The frozen one, gets thawed in teh refer, then cooked as normal. It comes out great, but maybe even a little dryer than the fresh cooked one - not dryer, just a little less sauce and it settles a bit more.

I have not had any problems with the noodles. We actually like the thinner, flat noodles better.

I don't think I would parboil the noodles, I would not add water to your dish, you might just layer in a little extra sauce to accomodate the noodles soaking up the sauce during sitting and cooking. ( one exception - if you need to press down on the dish to really get the layers in, then you may want to barboil - if you pressed on the uncooked ones, they would break.)

It is lasagna - it will be great. I think the biggest mistake for lasagna, is not letting it sit after cooking so it doesn't just fall apart when you cut and dish.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
If I were making it ahead and keeping in the refer I would still parboil for 1 minute or so. Then you don't have to worry about using extra sauce. When I did it ahead that way, it turned out great. No sogginess.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by esgunn (Denise, I use them ...)
Erin dear, just where IS your recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna recipe? Would you post it please, pretty please?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Last Lasagna question I swear! by bjcotton (Erin dear, just wher...)
Ok so I think I'll go with the regular boil type. Maybe I'll just put them in a pan with very hot water and let them sit to get pliable.

Lol and for the record..I got a bit carried away with the Bolgonese sauce. I now have enough to make 8 full pans of lasagna Hahaha. Thank goodness it freezes well.