Mushroom recipe reviews
  Re: (...)
Okay. I have some catching up to do. Let's start with recipes I posted a week ago.

The Mushroom, Leek and Potato Soup was very good, but I really like the Creamy Mushroom Soup with Meatballs better, so I would give this an 8.

The Mushroom and Bacon Skewers were tasty, but I think they would benefit from overnight marinating, rather than the 30 minutes specified in the recipe, and I would marinate the bacon, as well as the mushrooms. As it was, I drizzled the extra marinade onto the bacon as the skewers were cooking. Also, I felt that the plain yogurt that was used for dipping just sat there, so I mixed in the cooked marinade from the pan, and that helped tremendously. As they were, I would give them an 8, but with my changes, I would bump that up to a 9 - maybe more if they had been marinated over night.

There is a side note that goes with the skewers. The recipe calls for "2 tbs sweet chilli sauce" (their spelling), but I could not find anything like that here, so I searched the Internet and found a few recipes, including a couple that were Thai. Since the skewer recipe came from an Australian website, I opted for a "Sweet Chilli Sauce" recipe from another Australian website. Here it is:

Sweet Chilli Sauce
Makes six small bottles.

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 Lb Sugar
  • 5 Cups Cider vinegar
  • 11 Ounces Fresh seeded chillies
  • 3 1/2 Ounces Garlic
  • 1 3/4 to 3 1/2 Ounces fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Purée ginger, garlic and chillies with some vinegar and place in a pot.
  2. Add rest of vinegar, sugar and salt.
  3. Cook on a slow boil until a syrupy consistency and bottle. Cooking process usually takes thirty to forty minutes.
Other Notes
  • (From original author, not me): I use a medium hot chilli. If you want to make it hotter add more chillies or use a hotter chilli variety, such as Jalapeño.
  • (My own note): I made a half batch, and used a red bell pepper and half a poblano pepper
This sauce is at least an 11, but I did make a mistake when I made it. The recipe said to cook until syrupy, and that it would take 30-40 minutes. After more than an hour, I still had only seen a slight thickening, so I gave up, remove it from the heat, then bottled it. Well, what I wound up with, once it cooled down, was not sauce, but JELLY! LOL! Even so, it's still great stuff, and works out fine as a sauce by just reheating it.

Finally, there's what I had for dinner, tonight: Mushroom Burgers. Here's the recipe:

Mushroom Burgers
preparation: 20 minutes cooking: 30 minutes serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 26 oz "cup" mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • salt & ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4 hamburger buns, halved
  • watercress sprigs, trimmed, washed & dried, to serve
  • whole egg mayonnaise, to serve
Instructions:
  1. Heat 2 tbs oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, green onions, garlic & cumin & cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms are just tender. Increase the heat to medium-high & cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 10-12 minutes or until the pan juices evaporate. Set aside for 5 minutes.
  2. To make the burgers, place 1/2 the mushroom mixture into a food processor & process until smooth & pureed. Transfer the pureed mixture to a large heatproof bowl.
  3. Add the remaining cooked mushrooms, breadcrumbs, egg & salt & pepper to the pureed mushrooms. Mix well to combine. Evenly shape the mixture into 4 patties, about 3" in diameter & 3/4" thick.
  4. Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the patties & cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove & set aside to drain on paper towel.
  5. Meanwhile, toast the hamburger buns until golden.
  6. To serve, place the toasted bun bases onto serving plates, top each with watercress sprigs, a pattie & mayonnaise. Season with salt & pepper & top with the remaining bun tops. Serve immediately.
Variation:
  • Add 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce to the pattie mixture with the breadcrumbs. Serve the burgers with hummus instead of mayonnaise.
These were a 12! At first, I thought about using the variation, with the Worcestershire sauce and the hummus, but didn't have either of those at the moment, so I stayed with the original recipe, except for one thing. When I started out, I couldn't find my cumin, so I substituted chipotle powder. Of course, JUST after I did that, I found the cumin, so I added that, as well. Other than that, I didn't change the recipe at all. I shall definitely make these again, when I get more mushrooms.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by labradors (Okay. I have some c...)
The soup sounds very good - don't know why I hadn't copied it back in July (copied now). The skewers - don't remember seeing that recipe, but sounds good also.

I have 2 or 3 recipes for Sweet chili sauce that I alternate 'tween - I could use it like ketchup! so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by cjs (The soup sounds very...)
Jean, would you mind posting those sweet chili sauce recipes? This one is so delicious that it would be interesting to compare them.

Either way, I'm still jazzed about the burgers. Especially considering the [lack of] the quality of the beef, here, I would much rather have one of those mushroom burgers than a regular hamburger.
  Re: Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by labradors (Jean, would you mind...)
This first one is from ChefLayne (c2c) - do you remember him?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Thai Chili Sauce - cheflayne

3 tablespoons Ground Chili Paste
2 teaspoons Garlic -- finely chopped
1/2 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
2/3 cup Chicken Stock
2/3 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
4 teaspoons Cornstarch
4 tablespoons Cilantro -- chopped

Combine all ingredients except cilantro. Bring to boil while stirring often. reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool and add cilantro.

------
* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

2 tablespoons sambal oelek or chili peppers
1 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh garlic -- minced
1 teaspoon gingerroot -- grated
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

In a small pan add the first 6 ingredients together, over low heat.

Stir constantly until mixture thickens to a syrupy consistency, about 5 minutes once it starts to simmer. It reduces quite a bit.

Mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl and add to the sauce. Mix well. Let cook until it starts to thicken, then remove from heat.

Let cool, and use in any of your Thai recipes asking for Sweet Chili Sauce.
NOTES : makes 2 cups

----

I like mushroom burgers also, but I guess I'm lazy, I just grill some portabellas and dig in.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by cjs (This first one is fr...)
Oh Goody! I loves mushrooms!! Must try these
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by cjs (This first one is fr...)
Quote:

This first one is from ChefLayne (c2c) - do you remember him?

Vaguely, but thanks for the recipes.

Quote:

I like mushroom burgers also, but I guess I'm lazy, I just grill some portabellas and dig in.

The problem with that is that portobellos are even less frequent here, and are about twice the price. These burgers were not very difficult, and just used regular shrooms.
The soup with meatballs looks really good - getting to be soup weather here - thanks for the review on the skewers - and of course, burgers are just GOOD!!!
  Re: Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by (The soup with meatba...)
They all sound good to me, too, Labs! All copied as well. And the skewers recipe? I LOVE mushrooms! Sadly, I don't get to use them often since YS doesn't like them. DD used to not like them, but now she LOVES them. I'm hoping YS will get over it, soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom recipe reviews by Gourmet_Mom (They all sound good ...)
My favorite way to make mushrooms is to bring them to a boil then simmer them in white cooking sherry with pearl onions until they shrink a bit. It usually is about 1/2 hour.

It would probably taste even better if you knew a nice white wine use.
Labs, what kind of medium hot chili did you use? Do you think Poblano or Anaheim chilis would work?