Cookies book
  Re: (...)
I tried to search for a previous topic on this book, but the search function doesn't seem to work very well. Any hints on how to navigate the search function would be appreciated!

Anyway, I just recently bought the Cookies special book. Tonight I made the apple pie bars from the book and I just have to say they are AMAZING! My family all loved them. Can't wait to try other recipes from the book. I'm going to try the turtle bars tomorrow.
  Re: Cookies book by ryansnurse (I tried to search fo...)
That search function drives me crazy. Whoever designed it needs to be slapped. You can only search 2 years at a time, so you have to enter for example, older than 2 years, newer than 4 years. It doesn't allow you to do 2 searches in a row. There has to be a certain amount of time in between, though I have not figured out that magic number yet. I usually get so frustrated that I give up and do something else for a while. It would be nice if someone would fix this function, I know it can be done. There may be others along that have figured out ways around it and may be more help to you. I can just share your pain!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cookies book by chef_Tab (That search function...)
Unfortunately, unless and until someone at the site decides to implement a CAPTCHA image (one of those images of random letters you must type to continue) to prevent automated programs from using the search, the search here will remain severely handicapped.

In order to avoid hackers' attempts to drain system resources, the people who run this site (and/or the people who originally wrote this particular forum system) have set two very important limitations. The first is the time delay between successive searches. Of course, although it is inconvenient to users, the warning it gives may be avoided simply by waiting longer before starting another search.

The second limitation, however, is a much bigger problem, and that is that the system limits the search-result list to 200 entries. Thus, no matter how you set the search parameters, if more than 200 messages match your search key, you will not be able to do much other than what Theresa outlined above.

On the other hand, it is NOT true that the system, only allows you to search two years at a time. Yes, if you are searching using a time limit, the most you can specify is two years, but if you DON'T SPECIFY A DATE RANGE, your search WILL search the entire forum. As an example, try the following: go to the search, remove the "1" from the "Newer than" range, and set the "Week(s)" part to blank. Then type in "clams" (without the quotation marks) as the keyword for which to search. As of the time of my writing this, you will get 116 results, which go all the way back to 2001 - well beyond the supposed two-year limit. Likewise, if you clear out the date range, as specified, and search for "Kilborn" (again - no quotes), you will get exactly ONE message, and it is the FIRST message in the system, dated 10/15/99 - NINE years ago! This proves that it IS possible to search for messages that are more than two years old, and that the two-year limitation only applies to searches where you actually DO specify a date range. Unfortunately, if you do a similar search for something like "pie" (with the date range cleared, again), there are SO many messages that match that the system will only return the newest 200 of them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cookies book by labradors (Unfortunately, unles...)
Don't get me started on the search functionality of this site... It's just a pain.

I have the first cookies book - not sure how many recipes are the same in both issues. The Black Forest cookies and the Key Lime Bars are stand outs. I saw the apple bars recipe and haven't tried it yet. Now that it's apple season, and we'll have birthday treats in the office tomorrow for a colleague, I think I'll give that one a try.
  Re: Re: Cookies book by HomeCulinarian (Don't get me started...)
"The first is the time delay between successive searches. Of course, although it is inconvenient to users, the warning it gives may be avoided simply by waiting longer before starting another search." hahahahahahaha, Labs, you are a funny guy! Me wait patiently???? Geez, what were you thinking?

I knew someone would come along who is more knowledgable on the subject. Thanks for the way around the year limitation. It will help me most of the time.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cookies book by chef_Tab ("The first is the ti...)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cookies book by labradors ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
"As an example, try the following: go to the search, remove the "1" from the "Newer than" range, and set the "Week(s)" part to blank." I didn't know this one. thanks.

I still have not made anything from this book - but, should probably try those apple bars, sound good. I did mark a few - p.nut butter biscotti,pecan pie bites, and the gold bricks....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookies book by cjs ("As an example, try ...)
I've made the gold bricks twice and they are great. Go a long way. The only thing I did differently was to cut the bars in half before dipping. Otherwise they were too unwieldy.
Shannon
  Re: Cookies book by ryansnurse (I tried to search fo...)
Made the Apple Pie Bars for the office birthday celebration today. It was gone early - a big hit. Recipe was requested by several people... They laugh when I say it's an easy recipe because I guess my sense of easy isn't so easy for others. This one is truly easy in my book.

Anyway, I don't have a 10" spring-form pan, so I used a 9" and a 4". Left the small pan home so Hubby could get a sample.
  Re: Re: Cookies book by HomeCulinarian (Made the Apple Pie B...)
Quote:

They laugh when I say it's an easy recipe because I guess my sense of easy isn't so easy for others. This one is truly easy in my book.

Funny, I get that a lot, too.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.