Pumpkins Pie
  Re: (...)
I am looking for a fabulous pumpkin pie recipe for this weekend. I know I can use the recipe on the can, but I am looking for something with a little more oomph . It always seems like I tend to get pumpkin pies that are: thin, soggy crust, slimy texture, etc. I am looking for something thicker and 'fluffier'.

I don't know, maybe I am dreaming and a pumpking pie like this does not exist.

Any favorite pie recipes out there?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Pumpkins Pie by luvnit (I am looking for a ...)
My favorite is the one on the Libby's can. I've tried many different ones, and that version is, to me, what pumpkin pie is supposed to be. I'll be interested to see what gets posted...
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by HomeCulinarian (My favorite is the o...)
Have you tried using fresh pumpkin???

Here is a recipe I use...well until Jean posted the Pumpkin Bread Pudding!

French-Style Pumpkin Pie - Tarte à la citrouille

Chef's Note
In some regions of France, the tart is seasoned with a little salt and pepper and served as a light midday meal.

Ingredients
- 300 g (10 oz.) Pumpkin flesh, peeled, fibers and seeds removed
- 50 g (2 oz.) sugar
- 50 g (3 tbsp.) butter
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 250 g (9 oz.) pie pastry
- Cinnamon or ginger

Method
1. Cook the pumpkin with 4 tbsp. of water in a covered saucepan over low heat for about 20 minutes or until reduced to a purée;
2. remove the lid and continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated;
3. add the sugar, butter, cream and beaten eggs;
4. season to taste;
5. roll out the pastry and line a deep tart pan; prick the bottom; pour the filling into the shell; bake in a preheated 180° C (350° F) oven for about 30 minutes.

Here's a link to an interesting pumpkin pie recipe www.ineedcoffee.com/01/pumpkin/

This is what they say is the "secret" to fluffy pumpkin pies too...

"The Secret

The secret to making a good, fluffy/creamy pumpkin pie (instead of one that is heavy) comes down to the eggs. Separate the eggs. Put the egg yolks into a large bowl, and the egg whites in a small bowl off to the side. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and set them to the side."

You fold in the egg whites at the end and then beat the ingredients...makes sense to me.

Here is one last recipe that I can not argue against...look at the source! I just can't argue with someone with those kinds of connections!

FLUFFY PUMPKIN PIE

Sister Pat Robinson

Kitchener Ecclesia, Ontario, Canada

CRUST

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup oil
3 Tbsp. Evaporated Milk
1/4 tsp. Allspice

Mix together and press into pie plate.

FILLING

2 cups pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup cream
5 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbsp. Melted butter
pinch of pepper

Mix all and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees until done.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by firechef (Have you tried using...)
To be perfectly honest, from my own experiences in trying each way, there is very little difference in the use of fresh pumpkin, canned pumpkin, or a frozen, ready-made pie, as long as the spices are the same. The biggest difference is that pies made with fresh pumpkin tend to be a bit more loose and watery. Quite frankly, as much as I prefer making as many things from scratch as I can, pumpkin pie is one where I would just go with Mrs. Smith's. In fact, when I lived in PA, the office in which I worked was only a few blocks from the branch of Mrs. Smith's that makes the pumpkin pies, and one could often view a sea of orange as all the railroad cars full or pumpkins waited in Mrs. Smith's train yard. Needless to say, the area around my workplace smelled very good when they were baking them. :-)

Again, since the spices are the real key, many people would even have a difficult time telling the difference between a pumpkin pie, a sweet-potato pie, and a bean pie, except for differences in texture and colour.

That brings me to a question. I have had some incredibly good bean pies, but I've never made them. Given the popularity and availability of beans down here, I'd like to try making some bean pies, so do any of you have any tried-and-true recipes for them?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by labradors (To be perfectly hone...)
Very good points Labs! I do not think I could handle working or being that close to the smells of pumpkin pie...we have the Tones Spice factory in Ankeny, Iowa and the smells of that place make me think of spaghetti every time I drive by! Then in Ames, Iowa you drive buy the Barilla Pasta plant and think of the spices you just smelt and start looking for a good Italian restaurant...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by labradors (To be perfectly hone...)
Laura, I prefer regular pumpkin pie, but once my sister in law made one and put coconut in the filling. It was delicious, and nice for a change, but I still like the regular one from the Libby's can the best.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by firechef (Have you tried using...)
I always go back to Libbys also - altho I make enough filling to really fill that pie crust!!

I don't think anyone raised on canned pumpkin can really replace it with fresh pumpkin - at least to me it's just like a completely different pie.

oops, just read Labs comment - boy, I really disagree with the similarities in flavor. But, since pumpkin pie is my absolute favorite (unless it's apricot with chocolate ice cream... ) pie ever, so I'm particular.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by chef_Tab (Laura, I prefer regu...)
Can't go wrong with the Libby's recipe but I am going to try the egg whites "secret" I posted the next time I try it to see if it makes a big difference.
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by firechef (Can't go wrong with ...)
Try a sweet potato pie--much better!! As the song says-"if you ever taste that sweet potato sin, you won't want punkin again"
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Pumpkins Pie by Old Bay (Try a sweet potato p...)
didn't work with me - I liked it (sweet potato pie) but not as much as punkin!! (it's that old dog and tricks thang.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com