Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!!
  Re: (...)
This was in a newsletter from Food & Wine magazine...sounds delicious - (but of course there will be a pumpkin pie in the frig also )

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Rum Raisin Sauce

2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 cinnamon sticks -- crushed
One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger -- coarsely chopped
1 vanilla bean -- split lengthwise
6 whole cloves
1 loaf of brioche (3/4 pound) -- cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Caramel Rum Raisin Sauce -- for serving

In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and cream. Add the cinnamon sticks, ginger, vanilla bean and cloves and cook over moderate heat until just steaming; do not let the milk boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover and let stand until the milk is fragrant, about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. On a rimmed baking sheet, toast the cubed brioche in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until dry and golden.

Spread the brioche cubes in an even layer in the prepared baking dish .

Rewarm the spiced milk over moderate heat until steaming, then strain it into a heatproof medium bowl.

Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolks, pumpkin puree and salt and whisk until blended and smooth. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Gradually whisk 1 cup of the hot milk into the pumpkin mixture, then whisk the mixture back into the remaining milk.

Pour the pumpkin custard evenly over the brioche and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand until the brioche has absorbed the custard, about 30 minutes. Discard the plastic wrap.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the bread pudding.

Set the baking dish in a large roasting pan and add enough hot water to the pan to reach halfway up the side of the baking dish.

Bake the bread pudding, uncovered, about for 45 minutes, or until puffed and set. Let cool slightly, spoon into bowls and serve warm, with the

Caramel Rum Raisin Sauce drizzled on top.

Make Ahead

The baked pudding can be refrigerated overnight. Cover with foil and rewarm in a 325°oven for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

------
Caramel Rum Raisin Sauce

This recipe makes more than you'll need, but the sauce is great to have on hand for turning ice cream and pear or apple pies into spectacular desserts.

3/4 cup dark rum
1 cup raisins
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup heavy cream

Directions

In a small saucepan, warm the rum with the raisins. Remove from the heat and let soak for 20 minutes.

In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over moderate heat until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat. Slowly and carefully add a little of the heavy cream to stop the cooking. Add the remaining heavy cream and stir in the raisins and rum. Serve warm.

Make Ahead

The sauce can be refrigerated for 1 week. Reheat gently, stirring occasionally, before serving.

Description:
"Recipe by Melissa Murphy Hagenbart This is an excellent alternative to pumpkin pie. Buttery brioche is soaked in a pumpkin crème brûlée base, then baked with a cinnamon sugar topping and served with a decadent caramel sauce."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!! by cjs (This was in a newsle...)
That looks fabulous, Jean. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to split into two 8 X 8 pans and freeze one of them. If it works, could be a great do ahead for all the company during the holidays.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!! by Dismc (That looks fabulous,...)
Great recipe Jean and GREAT idea Dismc!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
I saw that in the magazine - looks wonderful. For just Bob and I????? Maybe.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!! by Harborwitch (I saw that in the ma...)
good idea - to freeze half.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!! by cjs (good idea - to freez...)
Oh my I think I am in love with this recipe!!! Copied and saved! Oh boy oh boy!!! Thanks for sharing Jean!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Oh, Lord, this looks so good!! We traditionally have bread pudding with bourbon sauce and spiced cream - but I just might have to change this year - thank you for posting this wonderful recipe, Jean!
As our friend used to say, you had me at bread pudding! Thanks, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!! by Lorraine (As our friend used t...)
Oh I am SO doing this! I wanted something different and yet with pumpkin and this is IT!
  Re: Re: Think I Found My Thanksgiving Dessert!! by DFen911 (Oh I am SO doing thi...)
Thanks Jean, this sounds like a good one! I agree, must have a pie as well.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."