Salami, Salami!
  Re: (...)
Had some salami leftover from party to play with yesterday, so Carbs here we come! (Sharon, don't read or look at this )

This first recipe is in our MasterCook and ran across it yesterday - took just about an hour and my, it's tasty.
[Image: cheesysnackbread.jpg]

barely let it cool....
[Image: cheesybreaddone.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Easy Cheesy Snack Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour (4 to 4 1/2 cups)
2 packages Fleischmann's® Active Dry or Rapid Rise Yeast
2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 clove garlic -- minced or pressed
1 1/2 cups very warm water (120º to 130ºF)
2 eggs
1 8-ounce package shredded mild sharp Cheddar cheese
1 4-ounce can diced green chilis -- drained
1 2-ounce jar sliced pimientos -- drained

In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, Italian herb seasoning, salt and garlic. Stir warm water into dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in 1 cup cheese and enough additional flour to make soft dough. Cover; let rest 20 minutes (10 minutes for Rapid Rise).

Stir dough. With back of large metal spoon or lightly oiled hands, spread dough in greased 10- × 15-inch jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with chilis and pimientos. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until light and puffy, about 20 minutes.

Bake at 400ºF for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Makes 1 (10- × 15-inch) snack bread. Serve warm, cut into strips or squares.

Source:
"Fleischmann's Yeast"
Yield:
"1 Loaf"

NOTES : Topping Variations:

Replace chilis and pimientos with:
1 jar (3-ounce) pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained and halved
OR
1/2 cup (2 ounces) sliced salami and 1/4 cup sliced green onion
OR
1 jar (6-ounce) drained, sliced marinated artichoke hearts and 2/3 cup diced, seeded tomato.

-----

For brunch we had a salami pizza (and champagne ) - these toppings are so simple, but the flavor was just really nice together. Thankfully, I remembered to write them down so I can do this again.

Pizza dough round topped with:
marinara sauce
thinly sliced red onion (raw)
minced red tomatoes
minced Genoa Salami
'za cheese pillows (mozzarella, provolone, cheddar)
'za cheese, shredded (parmesan & asiago)

That's it - the 'za cheese was part of a recipe from the Canadian LCBO magazine a while back and I try to always have these cheese combinations in the freezer - here's the whole recipe that was published if anyone would like it. (it's yummy!)

* Exported from MasterCook *

"Big-Red" Pesto Sauce

1 large or 2 small (I used 2 large) red bell peppers
1 large garlic clove -- minced
2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
salt & freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup freshly grated 'Za hard-cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley (Used basil)

Roast red pepper; clean and seed. Whirl red pepper with garlic in food processor until pureed.
Add olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper.
whirl till mixed; add in cheese and basil till just mixed.
Sauce can be made ahead; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. (I made a full batch and I'll freeze what's left. For us, I only used about 1/4 of the batch)

In the new LCBO magazine (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), there is a wonderful section of pizzas. I learned something new and absolutely wonderful about pizza making reading it - and doing it yesterday.

This is a quote from the mag -
"Cubed soft cheese on pizza is far superior to grated mixtures as cubes produce pillows of melted cheese of varying flavours so each bite is just a little different. Hard cheese such as Parm, Romano and Asiago are best if freshly grated into long thin strips."

my notes:
'Za Cheese

So, I now have in my freezer large plastic bags of mixed cubed cheeses -
1 lb. Mozz
1 lb. provolone
1 lb. sharp cheddar

and one of 'grated long thin strips' of -
12 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano
12 oz. Asiago

I used this combination on a pizza last night and it's a wonderful way to add the cheese. I've been grating/shredding the cheeses all my pizza making days - but, no more!

Also, in the article was a pesto sauce to be used on "Big-Red Pizza" - which was the pesto, shrimp, sliced red onions, 'Za cheese, and basil. I made this pizza and it was good, but just too much going on for us. I'll just make it with basil, red onion, the cheeses and the pesto next time. Or maybe a couple slices of tomato.

And I have to admit, cubing the cheese (barely 1/2" cubes) really does make a difference in the flavors - those wonderful little "pillows" of cheese, yum!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Salami, Salami! by cjs (Had some salami left...)
You're making me hungry, Jean. It looks fabulous!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Salami, Salami! by cjs (Had some salami left...)
So, the title "Salami, Salami!" was just to fool me into gawking at pizza and bread recipes?????

We read that article about the cheese "pillows" and what do we continue to do????? Shred the freakin' cheese! sheesh! It makes perfect sense. Next pizza!

Now I've got all these wonderful things I want to cook and not so much time.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Salami, Salami! by Harborwitch (So, the title "Salam...)
"Cubed soft cheese on pizza is far superior to grated mixtures as cubes produce pillows of melted cheese of varying flavours so each bite is just a little different. Hard cheese such as Parm, Romano and Asiago are best if freshly grated into long thin strips."

Is it me or does this just turn you on too? It is like being seduced! Maybe it is the mention of pillows of cheese?!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Salami, Salami! by chef_Tab ("Cubed soft cheese o...)
Ooooooh I know. Pillows of cheese just sounds so so so . . decadent! Sexy! Pillows of cheese! Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Salami, Salami! by Harborwitch (Ooooooh I know. Pil...)
and it is decadent.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salami, Salami! by cjs (and it is decadent. ...)
And here I am still shredding mine. I'm off to make a not on the pizza dough recipe to do this next time. Thanks for the reminder Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.